Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-23-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
Wire Chewer

Share |

water line condensation

It's a very hot day today, and I've been running the sprinkler to water the lawn. I noticed my inside lines are condensing, even the pex portion. I have the dehumidifier running in the basement near that area as well and it has been picking up water, so it is humid I guess.

Should I be concerned about this? It's not dripping, but if it starts then that could be a problem considering my electrical panel is nearby. If I put some of that black foam insulation should it prevent them from condensing? I might consider it. Even the main line is condensing.

Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:27 PM   #2

water line condensation

The black foam insulation will help a little, but if there is no vapor barrier on the insulation, you'll still get condensation forming on any tiny exposed part of the piping system and over time, the insulation nearby will absorb the condensed water and it will become saturated like a wet towel. If room air can still touch any part of the the piping, you will still get condensation. I would either leave it as it is, as long as the condensation isn't harming anything, or if you want to insulate the piping do it right with fiberglass insulation with a SSL (self sealing lap) and PVC jacket that provides the vapor barrier you need to keep condensation from forming.

The Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:02 PM   #3

water line condensation

Of course everyone knows that watering in hot sun is wrong.Bad for the grass.
bluejeans is offline   Reply With Quote