Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-19-2011, 04:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

Water line for addition

Hi! For the addition I'm planning on the back of my home, I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to connect a new pipe to the main service line just after the meter at the curb and route that new pipe around the side of my home to the back where the addition would be built. My home is on a slab so getting to the existing plumbing would seem to be difficult.

I do have a line to a hose bib in back that I could use, however, that alone probably will not provide the flow needed for 2 complete bathrooms in the addition.

Also, a few months ago, I had a costly slab leak...hot water pipe leaked under the concrete slab apparently due to electrolysis after the water heater... so the remaining pipe may be a "ticking time bomb". If another leak under the slab happens again, I want to re-pipe as much of the house as I can using new Pex piping to avoid the potential for future leaks. I'm thinking that if I route the proposed new pipe from just after the meter going to the back of the house, that I would use that new pipe to do most of the re-piping.

Does this plan make sense? Are there any points I should consider in making this decision? Thanks.

Last edited by woody9911; 01-19-2011 at 08:45 PM.
woody9911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #2

Water line for addition

The hose bibb would not supply enough water for even one bathroom so thats a no go. Hook on to the service line past the meter and run a new line to the back of the house. I suggest pvc but i dont know where you are. probably would be best to repipe the house from the new line and cap off the old service line in the yard when that time comes. Do it at the same time as the addition when the house is already under construction. its a big mess, sheetrock patches everywhere. Usually other than the cost and nuisance its not very hard

plumber jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:34 PM   #3

Water line for addition

I'm in north Texas...city of Plano. I am thinking about using PVC. It may be over-kill but I'm thinking about using schedule 80 PVC to the house, then up through the new foundation into the attic. At that point, I would use Pex except for some copper for the leads from the water heater.
It doesn't freeze in the attic, but I would insulate everything.
Do you think using Sch 80 PVC makes sense or am I unnecessarily reducing water flow from the increased pipe wall thickness (compared to Sch 40)?

Last edited by woody9911; 01-20-2011 at 09:14 AM.
woody9911 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
addition, main water line, pex