Water Line Access Preference - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

water line access preference

Hello. I am going to extend our outside water supply via PEX to our deck so we don't have to cart water from the kitchen to water over 40 tomato, pepper and herb plants. I will put a drain on this line and flush it in the fall and leave it empty during the winter.

I want to use a tee from the existing spigot... well from the pipe that feeds the existing spigot. Put the spigot back on the tee and run PEX up with a turn off; then run about 50' of PEX hiding it under the deck to three outside vantage points. My question is would you access the water line from the outside by taking off the beadboard skirting or take down interior cedar paneling? I know the main water line is located along the ledger inside the heated basement. The house was built in 1902 and I'm not sure why it is located there. I am hoping that the simple removal of the t/g beaded skirting will expose the pipe that feeds the spigot. Then I can connect to the pipe. We updated the main line in 1973 to copper from the street. And I don't remember if it extended to the spigot, which I hope is the newer copper and not the old iron. Do plumbers take off exterior siding rather than work inside on finished walls? Many of our walls are wallpapered, so fixing isn't easy... and it is lath and plaster not sheet rock. Tips on dealing with older homes and this situation are welcomed.

I will be working on a rental's water line at the same time and it is ca1930 so both are old. Figuring out a procedure for how to deal with replacing old iron pipes is my major focus.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisement

KathrynCecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2014, 09:29 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

water line access preference

If that old spigot is on the original galvanized piping---expect some problems--at that age unscrewing it might cause the threads to collapse-

Is there a safer place to tap into the cold line --in the basement--???

Advertisement