Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #1

Share |

water leaks in 1st floor ceiling lamp when bath shower in 2nd floor?

Hello all,

I am hoping to gather input from yall. I am not familiar with plumbing and seeing this issue in our 2-story house of 10 years.

This happens sometimes, but not always. Someone takes shower in the 2nd floor bathroom and the ceiling lamp directly underneath the bathroom in the 1st floor starts to drip water.

We had the bath tub cleaned out and caulked at the edges.

Any idea of the possible causes? The drip is not a lot but wets the table under the ceiling lamp.

It doesn't happen all the time. Thanks.

corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #2

What kind of shower valve is it? (Manufacturer / style etc). Symmons valves can sometimes develop a pretty good leak on the diverter handle (the lever that switches the flow from the tub spout to the shower head). Also, it's quite possible that the water is getting behind the tub spout and getting through the hole through which the pipe extends to the spout - especially if it's a fiberglass tub/shower unit. The same can be said of the shower valve trim. If the seal is no good (or just non-existent, water can get behind there in dribble behind the wall.

You should probably start by removing the tub spout and applying silicone in the hole around the pipe. Let it dry for 24 hours before putting the spout back on and getting it wet.

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 01:18 PM   #3
Tileguy

Quote:
Youu should probably start by removing the tub spout and applying silicone
Silicone silicone silicone. Is that all anyone knows anything about these days is silicone? It's being suggested for everything from sealing a shower to making boobs.

Then the poster says:
Quote:
Let it dry for 24 hours before putting the spout back on and getting it wet.
Wow! That wouldn't be an inconvenience for anyone!

How about Teflon tape maybe? That would make it a one minute-fix not a one-day fix.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 04:01 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Silicone silicone silicone. Is that all anyone knows anything about these days is silicone? It's being suggested for everything from sealing a shower to making boobs.

Then the poster says:

Wow! That wouldn't be an inconvenience for anyone!

How about Teflon tape maybe? That would make it a one minute-fix not a one-day fix.
Gee, Bud...what helpful comments. It could be that we're talking about two different problems, or it could be that I'm just an incompetent silicone-wielding, know-nothing hack! I'm no tile guy...just a lowly master plumber.

You're talking about wrapping the threads on the nipple because you're assuming the problem is water coming from that joint (why, I don't know because the OP says this happens when someone is showering); I'm talking about water cascading down the valve wall and getting behind the spout and/or valve trim while someone is showering, trickling through the likely oversized hole in the wall where the nipple comes through. Teflon tape on the end of the tub spout nipple won't address that. Whoever installed it likely also failed to secure the pipe to the framing which allows the spout to move, and keeps it from sitting tight against the tub wall.

If you can grab that spout and pull it in and out from the wall then it will never keep water from trickling behind. The simplest way to seal that hole is silicone - one of the only legitimate uses of the product. Sometimes you have to play the cards you're dealt.

I'm the biggest critic around of people using silicone gratuitously, but it does have it's applications. And allowing it to dry may be an inconvenience, but, gee...so is water coming through your ceiling. The difference is one is a temporary inconvenience.

But here's another thought - inspired by Bud: It's possible that the shower arm needs teflon tape or pipe dope on that joint behind the wall (which is unlikely because 99% of installers - even hacks - understand even this much - same with the tub spout). OR the threads on the shower arm may be starting to break - another problem (like the scenario I described above) that I've seen many times over the years; the shower arm can break off in the wall (especially if it was over-tightened, and after years of people pulling on shower head diverters etc) leaving a few threads inside the fitting the arm screws into.

Last edited by Ishmael; 10-27-2011 at 05:22 AM.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
Gee, Bud...what helpful comments. It could be that we're talking about two different problems, or it could be that I'm just an incompetent silicone-wielding, know-nothing hack! I'm no tile guy...just a lowly master plumber.

You're talking about wrapping the threads on the nipple because you're assuming the problem is water coming from that joint (why, I don't know because the OP says this happens when someone is showering); I'm talking about water cascading down the valve wall and getting behind the spout and/or valve trim while someone is showering, trickling through the likely oversized hole in the wall where the nipple comes through. Teflon tape on the end of the tub spout nipple won't address that. Whoever installed it likely also failed to secure the pipe to the framing which allows the spout to move, and keeps it from sitting tight against the tub wall.

If you can grab that spout and pull it in and out from the wall then it will never keep water from trickling behind. The simplest way to seal that hole is silicone - one of the only legitimate uses of the product. Sometimes you have to play the cards you're dealt.

I'm the biggest critic around of people using silicone gratuitously, but it does have it's applications. And allowing it to dry may be an inconvenience, but, gee...so is water coming through your ceiling. The difference is one is a temporary inconvenience.

But here's another thought - inspired by Bud: It's possible that the shower arm needs teflon tape or pipe dope on that joint behind the wall (which is unlikely because 99% of installers - even hacks - understand even this much - same with the tub spout). OR the threads on the shower arm may be starting to break - another problem (like the scenario I described above) that I've seen many times over the years; the shower arm can break off in the wall (especially if it was over-tightened, and after years of people pulling on shower head diverters etc) leaving a few threads inside the fitting the arm screws into.
You have to forgive him. I feel his pain. Lately we've had a lot of well . . . i'll be nice here....... less than fully competent people giving advice that makes no sense. It puts you on edge, ya know?

my $.02 on the issue at hand : What kind of tub is it? If it's fiberglass worst case it could be a small crack in the gel coat or whatever kind of finish that particular brand of FG wants to use, and depending on where the bather is standing, it could cause the crack to open a little and allow water to flow freely through it. Seen this before a few times.

Most of the time though, it's a crappy tub spout with a crappy o-ring inside of it that just plain craps out and blows water back through the hole in the wall.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #6

Thanks.

Now, sorry I wasn't clear. We are not using the tub, just the shower.
And the leak is happening on the floor below not in the bathroom itself.

So, basically here is the issue.

Someone takes a long shower in the 2nd floor bathroom. The first floor directly underneath the shower has a ceiling lamp and this ceiling lamp shows water dripping from the ceiling hole where the lamp is attached.

So, the leak is happening one floor below the shower.

any ideas here? The plumber came in to clean out the shower and caulk the edges, but didn't fix the problem.

Thanks and sorry if I wasn't clear before.
corsica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:37 AM   #7
Tileguy

We got all of that!
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:41 PM   #8

Have we found out if it's FG, steel, cast...
Check the drain.
Yeah, sounds like - go through the ceiling below - Ouch!
(Aren't drywall/plaster repairs fun!!)
rossfingal
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #9
Chicago, IL

Take a look here:

Tiled Shower Pan Leaks - Investigation And Repair FAQ - Provided By Paragon Property Services Home And Moisture Intrusion Inspections, Chiccago

Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote