Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-12-2012, 04:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water leaking from hot water lines despite being turned off

I'm having quite a time here with the plumbing in our new (to us) home. When replacing our main bath vanity and bathtub we noticed that the hot water supply to both the tub and sink leaked even with the valves being completely closed. The tub and sink have separate shut offs which lead us away from thinking it was a valve issue. Are we wrong in thinking this is a coincidence?

Fast forward to post vanity and tub install and my real dilemma. The sink is fine, no issues. The tub on the other hand has a slow drip. We thought it may have been the new mixer valve we installed and gave it some special attention but of course still have the slow leak.

Could the fact that our hot water lines were leaky before the install of our new fixtures have something to do with this? Its the only dripping faucet we have in the house.

For background, we have a boiler for our HWBB heat and hot water supply. In case its worth noting, we've also been noticing that our hot water is running out, or just inconsistent since the cold weather hit and we've been using the boiler more frequently. I don't know if this is because of the slow drip, because our system doesn't have the capacity to heat the baseboards and a high demand for hot water at the same time, or what we're dealing with there... but that's another problem for another post (maybe?).

Any insight is appreciated. We're hoping to avoid calling in the pros here, but are spinning our tires troubleshooting the problem.

Stratton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratton23 View Post
...the hot water supply to both the tub and sink leaked even with the valves being completely closed. Are we wrong in thinking this is a coincidence?
Probably. Same valves, same owners, same MANipulations

Quote:
Any insight is appreciated.
Bad shutoff valves is a notorious problem
(because NO ONE ever uses them until they're needed)

good thing they're cheap.
look for the "1/4 turn" type when you buy new ones.

TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

About the valve thing, my husband is telling me that the pipes were still leaking even when the main shut off for the house was turned off. But again, only the hot lines. Does that change anything?

Even if these valves are duds, why would the faucet still drip? Bad mixer valve too? Ugh...
Stratton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

your baseboard heat is seperate from the domestic water and there should be 2 set points on the boiler HI one for baseboard 170F-180F..and the other for domestic water 110F-120F.the colder it gets outside the more the boiler will run as the stat goes to maintain the house when you shut the main water there is still pressure in the domestic cold and hot sides of the faucets...till they are open...
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratton23 View Post
even when the main shut off for the house was turned off.
But again, only the hot lines. Does that change anything?
Yeah. That's about pressure pushing the water.
(I blew past the boiler issue before)
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote