Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #1

Share |
Question

water leaking around wellhead

Water was leaking around the well head so I dug down 4 ft. to discover that the water pipe is leaking where the pipe is connected to the well head casing. I cannot get the pipe loose from the connector to replace it. Any suggestions on a tool I can use?
countrygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #2

Post a picture of what you have.
What kind of well is it?
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #3

see attached photos
Attached Thumbnails
water leaking around wellhead-well-head.jpg   water leaking around wellhead-well-head-2.jpg  
Old 09-16-2012, 05:26 PM   #4

It appears you have a pitless adapter system and I'm sorry to say you may need professional help even though this is a DIY forum. The reason I say this is the well casing doesn't look in all that great of condition from what I can see in the photo.
Fairview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #5
Bombastic Idiot

Lots of folks say I need " need professional help" but it doesn't keep me from being here in thi DIY forum. Countrygal, grab the shovel and finish digging. at least save yourself from having to pay for that part of the job.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #6

How much further down should I dig? The pipe and connector are exposed. I can see the leak. It is at the pipe connector on the exterior of the well casing. Shouldn't I be able to disconnect, replace the part and re-connect without having to replace the pipe? I have dug about 6-7 inches below the pipe.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:00 AM   #7
A "Handy Husband"

Is it the black poly pipe that is leaking or it is part of the pitless adapter? Have you tried tightening the SS band clamps?
Old 09-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #8

It appears to be the plastic adapter that is leaking. Yes, have tried tightening the clamps and wrapped the pipe and connector hoping I could stem the tide. No luck. So I'm without water this a.m.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:19 AM   #9
A "Handy Husband"

Why are you without water? Have you turned the power off to the pump? You should be able to run the pump even tho it leaks.

Sounds like the pitless adapter must be replaced. That means the pump must be pulled from the well. If the pump is more than 100' feet down, you will need a derrick. Probably best to get a well driller involved. The adapter needs to be installed from the inside of the well casing.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:22 AM   #10

Dig no further. You are there and I'm sorry for your problems.

As best I can see there is a black plastic pipe connected to the pitless adapter stub with possibly a stainless worm screw clamp to secure it. That connection is one possibility of where the leak is. The pitless adapter that the pipe connects to is another possibility for the leak because of deterioration over a period of time, although fairly rare. With the two leak possibilities being in such close proximity, good detective work at that leak location will be necessary to determine exactly where the leak is.

If you need the pipe removed, loosen the clamp screw and using a pipe wrench slightly rotate the pipe to break the bond to the adapter ( bulkhead fitting ). Do not attempt to use the all time favorite DIY tool. VISE GRIPS.

If the pitless adapter itself is the culprit the well pipe and pump will need to be lifted some to replace that part.

As with any plumbing repair, be prepared for disaster and to quote a co-worker " be prepared to take it clear to the wall. "

Last edited by Fairview; 09-17-2012 at 07:25 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fairview For This Useful Post:
countrygal (09-17-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 07:29 AM   #11

Thanks Handy Husband. Yeah, I just broke down and called a professional. Hope to get someone out here today. I turned off the well pump to keep the hole I dug relatively dry so I could work in there. I hope the adapter can be replaced or repaired from the exterior of the well casing and not have to pull out the pump. I will let you know the final outcome later today.
The Following User Says Thank You to countrygal For This Useful Post:
bob22 (09-17-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 12:04 PM   #12
Bombastic Idiot

Good luck, countrygal, I wish you well. Hoping the pump don't rise. Curse you, pitiless pitless!
Old 09-17-2012, 12:29 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygal View Post
Thanks Handy Husband. Yeah, I just broke down and called a professional. Hope to get someone out here today. I turned off the well pump to keep the hole I dug relatively dry so I could work in there. I hope the adapter can be replaced or repaired from the exterior of the well casing and not have to pull out the pump. I will let you know the final outcome later today.
You are welcome.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #14

The professional came out and replaced the plastic connector that I was unable to loosen. He essentially broke it off at the well casing then used a torch to melt it enough to get the rest of it out. Replaced it with a stainless nipple, reconnected the pipe and I now have water again. Cost me $170. I guess it would have been much more if he had to do the digging! I hope I'm good for another 30 years. Thank you all very much for talking me through this. Very helpful to know I am not alone in cursing pitless well systems.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:31 PM   #15
Bombastic Idiot

But, depending on what pro installed, you may now have a pitlessless well, no need to curse. And luckily you did not have to dig to the very depths of the fiery pit. You'd find no pity there, just cursing. Enuff of that... go get yourself a nice cool glass of water. Or a whole pitcher full.

Tags
well pipe