Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-13-2009, 09:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

$$$$ water leak fix?

looked of my water bill, boy is it high. called water company, stated that i had a leak. called the plumber, $2400 to replace line from the meter to the house. is that reasonable. yes i have done the steps to finding a leak.... i have no visorable leaks in the house or the yard, turn off the main valve, meter still moves

greenhorn_ltl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:59 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

$$$$ water leak fix?

We're not in a position to determine what price is reasonable in your area for your problem at your home. Too many variables. This is a DIY site and therefore we really discourage questions regarding contractors' prices.

Your best bet is to get several bids from plumbers in your area. That way you know if the price you've been given is reasonable.

The water company can come out and use a listening device to locate leaks in the line, and will sometimes assist you in determining that. But from the meter to the house is your pipe and your responsibility unfortunately.

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

$$$$ water leak fix?

You could save some money by doing most of the work yourself. You can rent a trencher and trench a new ditch next to the existing line, dig out at the meter and the house connection then have a plumber come in and do the tie in. He'd probably charge you hourly plus material. If you do trench yourself, make sure you check local codes and are in compliance with depth and proximity to other lines as the job will normally require a permit.
bradnailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 09:19 PM   #4

$$$$ water leak fix?

test digs........dig down right at the your side of the meter line up the pipe going to the house,then inside the house mark the pipe going outside of the house.so now you have the pipe out of the house and to the meter a straight line we hope!...check the foudation pipe thru could be there?MARK a straight LINE.....now start digging every 4' or so toward th meter might pick up something....even if you find nothing you exposed the piping into your house and save a bundle and if you do find a break it can be fixed in place.$$$$$$$$$$$$

Last edited by biggles; 01-13-2009 at 09:32 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 520

$$$$ water leak fix?

Is the main valve shutting off the water? have you rechecked ALL your stools,,,are they running over overflow pipe in back tank?? When you shut them off,,,how long before tank level drops even slightly?? you can lose ALOT of water out of a stool and not be the wiser,,cant see it,,,cant hear it..

Just as a try,flush tank empty hold lever down,run finger around seating area of flapper ,BOTH sides, meaning where it rests,,,pitted?? slimey? ALL water isnt perfect!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 06:42 AM   #6

$$$$ water leak fix?

to verify......you turned off your house valve inside,and there meterthey read for the bill continued to count.....that toilet tank test is still something to check .i had a $80 bill once for 3 months cycle in the dead of the winter and went right for the tank.shut the water to the tank and left it came home from work the tank was drained......never saw the bowl water moving and heard nothing.......changed the flapper and wiped the seat were the flapper drops into......!
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:10 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

$$$$ water leak fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn_ltl View Post
looked of my water bill, boy is it high. called water company, stated that i had a leak. called the plumber, $2400 to replace line from the meter to the house. is that reasonable. yes i have done the steps to finding a leak.... i have no visorable leaks in the house or the yard, turn off the main valve, meter still moves
hmmm sounds like you need a second opinion and get several quotes many plumbers give free quotes

Shoogy is offline   Reply With Quote