Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2010, 02:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 25

Water leak in basement

New member here.

My basement is concrete block. The water supply and meter cable enter through the wall, about 30" above the floor, not through the floor. There has been a leak there since the home was built in 1993. Previous owners had no idea what caused it.

I had the area dug out this Spring to check into whether drainage tile was installed, connected, working, etc. The general contractor who saw the supply pipe didn't realize that was the source of the problem, so some gravel was added and the ditch refilled. I wish I had gotten pictures, but it is too late now to do that.

The added drainage helped a little, but didn't cure the problem. On further investigation, light dawned and here is what I think the source of the problem is:

The water supply has a loose fitting PVC tube around it (about 2") and about 30" long. Originally that tube penetrated both faces of the block. There remains staining from an obvious leak that was there. Then, at sometime in the past, the plastic tube was pushed back from the inside face of the block and the area around the water pipe was sealed with what looks like a cement or mortar. The PVC pipe just sits loose in the hole that was made in the outer wall of the block. With heavy rains, there is a little leakage right at the junction of the concrete block and basement floor. With a flexible camera, I was was able to locate where the PVC pipe penetrates the wall and see water coming down the inside of that block below the PVC pipe. The rest of the basement is bone dry.

My simple question is/are: How can the penetration on the outside of the block be sealed? Is the PVC sleeve needed? Will an expanding foam (recommendations?) seal the supply line inside the PVC, so the PVC can be sealed where it enters the concrete block?

Sorry for the long post and I wish I had pictures, but I don't.

Best regards, John

john4153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
Owner

Rewards Points: 500

Water leak in basement

How do you know it's drainage from ground water and not a leak in the water service?

(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #3

Water leak in basement

A leak in the water service should not be dependent on the amount of rain. Of course, both acting in concert cannot be ruled out as the cause based on that; however, when we had the pipe excavated (3 months ago), it was dry. Applying Occam's razor to that data leads to the conclusion that it is most likely ground water only.

John

Last edited by john4153; 08-03-2010 at 09:48 PM. Reason: added:acting in concert
Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,466

Water leak in basement

asuming its ground water i would visit a construction supply house (not a box store) that deal heavily in concrete products, such as your local concrete premix plant. There are a lot of high tech concrete products designed just for your purpose. Get the best you can buy.
you don't want to do it again in a couple of years.
Don't use a spray foam. Its not the best fix.
As for your pvc sleeve, you can probably remove it. However, if your water service is copper, it can not contact concrete.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #5

Water leak in basement

What do you think of Xypex Patch'n Plug (http://www.xypex.com/products/product_types.php?pageID=18)?

Is there any other product you can recommend? The service supply line is copper. What would you use to seal between the line and the PVC sleeve, assuming it is retained to separate the copper from the concrete block?

I am thinking the whole job may be doable from inside -- at least as a first fix. Then if that works, maybe a permanent fix from the outside.

Thanks. John

Last edited by john4153; 08-03-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:26 PM   #6
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,466

Water leak in basement

Not familiar with xypex but it looks like what you want. The key is to follow their instructions. Pay attention to max thickness you can apply, surface prep,etc.
as for protecting the pipe, try some 3M 20(or is it 60) mill tape used to field wrap gas pipe. You'll need a little working space to apply it though. It adheres to the pipe so it should minimize any voids between the pipe and sealant.

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheEplumber For This Useful Post:
john4153 (08-04-2010)