Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-30-2011, 01:56 AM   #1

Share |

water leak

Ok so I turned on the cold water in the tub in the house I am buying. Water started leaking out the hot water knob, shower knob, and the cold water knob. Do I just replace all the knobs? Why would it leak out the hot and middle knobs when I just turn the cold water knob on?

lilredwuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:14 AM   #2

water leak

Probably the packing around the stems is bad. For most stem sets, you can buy a rebuild kit, but if the stems are worn too, you just need to replace them. While you're at it, be sure and replace the valve seats as well. Lowes, HD, and most hardware stores will have everything you need.

Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:18 AM   #3

water leak

That sounds like a three handle faucet?? The handles are on a manifold, so when you turn on one side, water fills the manifold and anything attached will leak, if there is a problem.

There is a nut on each valvestem. That nut compresses a packing washer around the valvestem and keeps water from leaking past the valvestem. The packing nuts are either loose, or the packing has dried out. Tighten the nuts but not so tight that you can't turn the valvestem. That should stop the leaks. A drop of oil at the nut on the valvestem will help keep things moving.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
Experienced

water leak

You mentioned that you are "buying" this house, which implies, you haven't bought it yet. I would also be checking below the tub area (basement) if you can, to make sure that this leak has not caused damage to the area around the tub, some folks never get around to fixen things, and water can be a real bad thing to have where it shouldn't be.

Mark
Old 01-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #5

water leak

No water damage, and the knobs are probably original to the house. It all stays within the tub area. I am just glad to know I can simply (LOL) replace the knobs. Just haven't seen that before.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:19 AM   #6

water leak

Hi,

In my opinion replace all your knobs it is your illusion that you opened cold water tab and shower knob,hot water knob leakage it seems that there is some problem in your knob replace it.

Thanks!

water damage
caryrobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:44 AM   #7

water leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredwuck View Post
No water damage, and the knobs are probably original to the house. It all stays within the tub area. I am just glad to know I can simply (LOL) replace the knobs. Just haven't seen that before.
The knob's has nothing to do with the leak's it what's behind the knob's like stim packing of the little seal on the end of the stim. But i bet the stim packing has dryed out. like this has been said in other post's. I would remove the knob's and tighen the packing nut . I bet this will not fix because the water came out of all 3 place's ?? Sound's like eather stim packing or replace the stem's ??
del schisler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:57 AM   #8

water leak

I'm with the other guys. If all you have to contend with is replacing the stems and/or stem packing better to fix it now and be done with it. Like someone else mentioned while you're replacing them is an excellent time to check for any water damage. If you need help getting walked through the process there are plenty of here willing to help out.
Cheers,
ChrisFixit
ChrisFixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #9

water leak

When I get to it, I am just going to replace it all. Who knows how long it will last with a patch or what else would go out in it.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:35 AM   #10
Stay-at-home GC

water leak

Scope Creep Warning!

"Honey, I'm going to replace the washers on the faucet". 6 months later..."Well, I guess we should go ahead and replace that beam."

Some days, my Life needs a Rewind/Erase Button.
CplDevilDog is offline   Reply With Quote