Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2010, 03:07 PM   #1

Share |

Water Leak

Hello, ..my grandmother called me over to check out a leak she has. The kitchen ceiling has come down. The hole is about a 4x4 ' hole. Exposed are the cold and hot water lines that run to the upstairs bathroom. Now the puzzling thing is that there is no water leaking until after the facets are turned on in the upstairs bathroom. The water lines that feed the sink in the bathroom are dry. The toilet water line is dry. The bathroom floor is dry, but the underside of the floor is wet. and when water is running the underside of the bathroom floor becomes saturated. This is a very old house. Lath and plaster and iron waste stacks. I'm sure that the waste line from the sink is leaking due to no problems until water is flowing, but what I cant figure out is why the floor is wet where it is. It would be in the middle of the bathroom. The waste line is not visible through the hole. Old house, big money to fix I fear. The sink drain runs into the wall after the trap. It is on the exterior wall. Cold snap and busted the waste line maybe??
swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #2

Water Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop View Post
Hello, ..my grandmother called me over to check out a leak she has. The kitchen ceiling has come down. The hole is about a 4x4 ' hole. Exposed are the cold and hot water lines that run to the upstairs bathroom. Now the puzzling thing is that there is no water leaking until after the facets are turned on in the upstairs bathroom. The water lines that feed the sink in the bathroom are dry. The toilet water line is dry. The bathroom floor is dry, but the underside of the floor is wet. and when water is running the underside of the bathroom floor becomes saturated. This is a very old house. Lath and plaster and iron waste stacks. I'm sure that the waste line from the sink is leaking due to no problems until water is flowing, but what I cant figure out is why the floor is wet where it is. It would be in the middle of the bathroom. The waste line is not visible through the hole. Old house, big money to fix I fear. The sink drain runs into the wall after the trap. It is on the exterior wall. Cold snap and busted the waste line maybe??
I would say a rusted out cast iron drain pipe.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:02 PM   #3

Water Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop View Post
...but what I cant figure out is why the floor is wet where it is. It would be in the middle of the bathroom.
The floor's probably not level - typical of an old house. The water is just flowing to the lowest point where it pools and finally drips. If you put a marble on the floor it will probably roll to roughly the same area.

It's hard to say exactly what's leaking (or where) by your description, but cast iron tends to rust through after several decades. You could also have a leaking joint; if the floor is springy when you walk on it, that can cause a joint - that wasn't meant to flex - to flex ever so slightly. Many years of that slight movement could cause the caulked lead joint to leak.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote