Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-24-2010, 11:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water heater woes!!!

Ok our water heater is older but heats very well. PRV started spurting now and then. So I replaced it. Then a few months later have a constant stream started and hasnt stopped leaking out. Help?

azrepoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:55 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 150

Water heater woes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrepoman View Post
Ok our water heater is older but heats very well. PRV started spurting now and then. So I replaced it. Then a few months later have a constant stream started and hasnt stopped leaking out. Help?
Do you mean that your temp/pressure relief valve started spurting (on top of the HWT)? If so, maybe the T&P valve is working fine and the incoming pressure is too high. Check your pressure, maybe your PRV is faulty.

burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burnt03 For This Useful Post:
azrepoman (12-25-2010), Work4living (12-26-2010)
Old 12-25-2010, 10:24 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,036

Water heater woes!!!

Use the lever to open the PRV (relief) valve and let it spring shut again. See if it will stay shut after a few tries.

Sometimes a bit of debris will get caught and hold the valve ajar.

Especially if you have a backflow preventer or a pressure regulator on your main water supply line, you need an expansion tank somewhere in your plumbing system, usually one is put near the water heater.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #4
Picky Plumber

Rewards Points: 75

Water heater woes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Use the lever to open the PRV (relief) valve and let it spring shut again. See if it will stay shut after a few tries.

Sometimes a bit of debris will get caught and hold the valve ajar.

Especially if you have a backflow preventer or a pressure regulator on your main water supply line, you need an expansion tank somewhere in your plumbing system, usually one is put near the water heater.

PRV (Pressure Reducing Valve) is a completely different thing than the valve on water heater called the T&P relief Valve (Temperature and Pressure relief valve) If the T&P on the water heater is popping off, #1, the temperature setting could be set too high or gas valve malfunctioning, #2, the water when heated builds up pressure and you could be in need of a thermal expansion tank (or if you already have one, it could be full of water and needs replaced) The last thing I'd imagine it would be is debris.
Probably need the expansion tank which you'll probably spend $30-$40 or pay a plumber $X to install one.
Plumber26 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Plumber26 For This Useful Post:
Work4living (12-26-2010)
Old 12-25-2010, 03:22 PM   #5

Water heater woes!!!

I have tried opening the T&P relief valve numerous times but it still constantly leaks. I have never heard of an expansion tank. What exactly is it and where is it installed. I dont understand why all of a sudden the water pressure in our house would go up . Unless its a problem in the meter and shut off box out by the street. I dont have a tester but suppose i will have to get one.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #6

Water heater woes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt03 View Post
Do you mean that your temp/pressure relief valve started spurting (on top of the HWT)? If so, maybe the T&P valve is working fine and the incoming pressure is too high. Check your pressure, maybe your PRV is faulty.
Yes the valve started spurting every so often so I replaced it. With no leaks or spurts then a few months later a constant stream started flowing and wont stop not matter how many times or how quick I try to pop the valve on an off. I dont remember seeing a regulator in the shut off box or one under my house. The box out by the street is covererd by snow and ice.... Oh boy the fun of it all....lol Nothing is ever easy.. I will get a tester... Thanks...
Old 12-25-2010, 06:10 PM   #7
HVAC / Plumbing

Rewards Points: 1,000

Water heater woes!!!

Buy a water pressure gauge at hd or lowes. Install the gauge at the water heater drain valve. Open the drain valve & read the pressure on the gauge.. Probably in excess or 150 psi. The T&P will wide open. They will sometimes trickle some water @ about the 140 psi range
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenmac For This Useful Post:
Work4living (12-26-2010)
Old 12-25-2010, 06:54 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Water heater woes!!!

>>>I dont understand why all of a sudden the water pressure in our house would go up<<<

Municipal water system pressure varies with the time of day or when they work on them; could be a upgrade of the system.

I wouldn't check you pressure at the water heater due to the chance of debris being in there and giving a bad reading, I would check it at a hose bib near where the water comes in, if that's shut off you can test at a laundry tray, any pressure near 80lb psi and you need a PRV in your main line and an expansion tank installed near your water heater
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #9
HVAC / Plumbing

Water heater woes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
>>>I dont understand why all of a sudden the water pressure in our house would go up<<<

Municipal water system pressure varies with the time of day or when they work on them; could be a upgrade of the system.

I wouldn't check you pressure at the water heater due to the chance of debris being in there and giving a bad reading, I would check it at a hose bib near where the water comes in, if that's shut off you can test at a laundry tray, any pressure near 80lb psi and you need a PRV in your main line and an expansion tank installed near your water heater

I've checked pressures at the wh for years. This will tell you how much the pressure rises as the wh is heating the water
Old 12-26-2010, 07:43 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 2,036

Water heater woes!!!

Open a cold faucet elsewhere in the house. If the PRV valve is still flowing continuously and more or less steadily, chances are the valve is malfunctioning.

Generally if the valve opens due to abnormal pressure, it will be intermittent rather than continuous.

Dealing with pressure (e.g. installing, replacing, or draining an expansion tank) is still a short term future project.

Last edited by AllanJ; 12-26-2010 at 07:46 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #11

Rewards Points: 75

Water heater woes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanJ View Post
Open a cold faucet elsewhere in the house. If the PRV valve is still flowing continuously and more or less steadily, chances are the valve is malfunctioning.

Generally if the valve opens due to abnormal pressure, it will be intermittent rather than continuous.

Dealing with pressure (e.g. installing, replacing, or draining an expansion tank) is still a short term future project.
Alan,

You understand that this isn't a PRV valve right. They are talking about a pressure and temperature safety valve.
Work4living is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #12
HVAC / Plumbing

Water heater woes!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrepoman View Post
I have tried opening the T&P relief valve numerous times but it still constantly leaks. I have never heard of an expansion tank. What exactly is it and where is it installed. I dont understand why all of a sudden the water pressure in our house would go up . Unless its a problem in the meter and shut off box out by the street. I dont have a tester but suppose i will have to get one.

In my area, there are homes which are on an ''open system'' .Meaning that, there is no back flow preventer on the main incomming water line. When water is heated is builds pressure in the tank & it will over come the inlet pressure & back up into the city / county water system/ main. The water company wants to ensure the water is safe for everyone so, It has started installing back flow preventers at the water meters to close the syatem. People in my area that never had problems with the T&P relieving are starting to have problems. expansion tanks are usually installed on the inlet (cold water )feed at the W H & takes care of the problem. You can purchase an expansion tank at Lowes, H.D., Plumbing supply house