Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-22-2010, 04:49 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water heater/Water softener issues

Hi all,

Ive been slowly noticing my shower heat has been slowly dwindling. I'm the only one that lives in my house and I can only take 5-10min showers before I lose all the heat.

* single occupant
* 2yr and 5 month old house(newly constructed)
* 5-10 min showers and heat is gone
* water is not very hot but hot enough to take a quick shower

I wanna say Ive noticed the heat slowly diminishing since I got my water softener. I drained my water heater last week and noticed a lot and I mean a lot of what looked like salt pellets coming out of the water heater. Is it possible for salt to get in the water heater?

Ive never noticed a difference since having my water softener installed and I have really hard water in arizona. My dishes still come out of the dishwasher with soap residue all over them.

Does anyone have any ideas or possible solutions I could attempt? I would like to prevent replacing my water heater with it being only 2 1/2yrs old.

Thanks for all the help.

Norris

P.S. Forgot to add that I have water in the bottom of my brine tank and it continually uses salt which seems like a normal pace for 1 occupant in the house.

norrisboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by norrisboat View Post
Hi all,

Ive been slowly noticing my shower heat has been slowly dwindling. I'm the only one that lives in my house and I can only take 5-10min showers before I lose all the heat.

* single occupant
* 2yr and 5 month old house(newly constructed)
* 5-10 min showers and heat is gone
* water is not very hot but hot enough to take a quick shower

I wanna say Ive noticed the heat slowly diminishing since I got my water softener. I drained my water heater last week and noticed a lot and I mean a lot of what looked like salt pellets coming out of the water heater. Is it possible for salt to get in the water heater?

Ive never noticed a difference since having my water softener installed and I have really hard water in arizona. My dishes still come out of the dishwasher with soap residue all over them.

Does anyone have any ideas or possible solutions I could attempt? I would like to prevent replacing my water heater with it being only 2 1/2yrs old.

Thanks for all the help.

Norris

P.S. Forgot to add that I have water in the bottom of my brine tank and it continually uses salt which seems like a normal pace for 1 occupant in the house.
I'm going to guess you have an electric water heater which means (most likely) that your lower element is burned-out. The "pellets" that came out of your water heater are probably just fragments of the old element.

Sorry...don't know too much about water softeners...

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 02:17 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Hmm lets see the stuff/ scaleing that came from the hot water heater when you emptied it could have been the solodified hardness from you water. how hard is your water??? As far as a loss of hot water the element in th tank is probally being insulated by lime and calcium scaleing from the harndess that has accumilated in the past years and the element ( s ) cant keep upi with reheating the water quick enough . BUt it souonds llike you might be looking at replacieng the hot water heater or the therom couple inside the heater . You might want to check and see if you still have an Anode rod in teh heater sometimes they can make asulfur like smell come from the hot water afte a softner is installed.
arcticbouncer is offline   Reply With Quote