Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #1

Share |

Water heater..tank vs tankless

What are the pros and cons...and the difference in prices... I've done a tank install before but never a tankless, how hard is a tankless

ll2none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:55 AM   #2

Tankless is not quite as simple, since fuel supply and exhaust are usually custom for the size heater. If you have gas, pipes need to be properly since and run the location. Most areas don't like homeowners doing gas extensions.

Tankless is more expensive, but saves money over time. Tank is easier to install and generally less expensive, but may not last as long. I have had tanks that lasted 15-20 yrs, but the average is about 10 yrs.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:31 AM   #3

See post #8 in this thread:

Heating
raylo32 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:47 AM   #4

Do a search for "tankless" in this forum, it comes up quite often. Things like electric vs gas are a huge factor in output and cost right off the bat. We have an electric on-demand, more for space savings than anything bc we have no basement, and we love it. That certainly would never lead me to say they're for everyone.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 03:13 PM   #5

What powers your existing water heater? Electric, NG, or propane.
Electric tankless may require 50+ amp service to them and some may need 100+ depending on size. Upgrading electric service to tankless can negate any possible savings.
Now if you have NG or propane...........a tankless installation may go well for you.

I have been running a Tagaki tankless NG heater for 10+ years without any problems.

To me..........the two most important considerations are: 1) Don't undersize a tankless heater 2) I would NOT go with an electric tankless.
George6488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #6

Well the house is bear....no pipes, no wiring....so I can pretty much do any thing...just not sure which way to go...i did install a 100 amp service panel so far...
ll2none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 06:47 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by George6488 View Post
To me..........the two most important considerations are: 1) Don't undersize a tankless heater 2) I would NOT go with an electric tankless.
The red wine example.... for every doctor who says its good for you, you'll find one who says its bad for you.

I love our electric tankless, it suits us perfectly, and was 80% cheaper than a natural gas unit up plus I didn't have to toy around with venting it As I said before, certainly not for everyone.
moneymgmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:33 AM   #8

We have a propane tankless unit and absolutely love it. Though I am not a pro (not a pro plumber anyway), I installed it myself. It's really not that difficult. I did pay the gas company to run the supply line, but only because I didn't want to mess with that.

A couple of things to consider: If you have hard water and do not have a water softener, I'd forget about going tankless. It wouldn't last very long. Also, though a gas tankless obviously doesn't need 220V power, it does need a nearby 110V outlet to power the control circuitry.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:08 AM   #9

Originally posted by moneymgmt>
"I love our electric tankless, it suits us perfectly, and was 80% cheaper than a natural gas unit up plus I didn't have to toy around with venting it As I said before, certainly not for everyone."

What size tankless heater did you install? Is it for the whole house?
What are electrical requirements for this heater?

George6488 is offline   Reply With Quote