Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-26-2008, 01:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75
Question

Water Heater Suggestions

Hi I am new here and would like some help when it comes to picking a new water heater.
My wife and I will be moving into a new house soon and the water heater needs replacing. We will be renting out the basement of the house so the hot water will have to supply 4 adults and 1 child. We are considering a tankless water heater and would like to know if this is a good option or not?

wedge22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:53 AM   #2
K&B Remodeler/Tile Guy

Rewards Points: 500

Water Heater Suggestions

While this might not give you the exact answer you're looking for, it's definitely info:
Advice - Tankless Water Heaters

angus242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 01:58 AM   #3

Water Heater Suggestions

Thanks for the link, it looks like there can be issues with the gas pipes not being big enough going into the house. I think it would be easier to go with a 40 gallon heater as a replacement over the current 33 gallon one and try and find a highly efficient one.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:56 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 504

Water Heater Suggestions

Tankless water heaters generally support a much smaller flow of hot water than a tank heater. You would have to adapt to that. With 4 adults that could get difficult.

I like tankless water heaters (more efficient use of energy) but at the present I cannot afford them, since they are also 3 or more times as expensive as regular tank water heater to buy and install.
darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 08:29 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Water Heater Suggestions

I have 3 adults and two kids in my home and took out our gas water heater and put in electric tank less heaters.First the cost of the heaters was was 1/3 less then replacing the gas heater second the cost of installation was about 20 dollars for some copper tubing third the savings on my gas bill was like 60 dollars a month and my electric only went up 3 to 5 dollars.Now if your thinking of going this way you don't want to buy from a box store to much mark up go on line and buy from the maker or on ebay and get a deal.You also might want to consider getting two since you will be renting the basement and put it on a separate line.The only problems we have had with our tank less heaters is we have well water and at first the sediment was cutting the flow but a filter system fixed that ,oh and to much hot water if thats a problem. This is just my opinion I am sure others have had good results and others have had bad
clasact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:08 PM   #6

Water Heater Suggestions

Thanks for the replies, it sounds like the tankless will be too costly and unable to provide water for the amount of users in the property.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:47 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 504

Water Heater Suggestions

It does not make economic sense to buy a tankless water heater for most people at this time. But who knows about the future. In Europe and Asia, everyone uses tankless!
darsunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 07:56 PM   #8

Water Heater Suggestions

I am originally from the UK and we had tankless there, its very popular. I think I will just go with a 40 gallon tank, anybody have any suggestions on a good gas model?
Old 05-26-2008, 08:06 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,000

Water Heater Suggestions

AO Smith is very popular. I have a GE and have had excellent luck with it for 6 years now. Most name brands' units are comparable.

I'd suggest getting a 50 gallon gas unit. I wouldn't have an electric water heater on a bet.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 01:23 AM   #10

Water Heater Suggestions

I will definately be going for a gas unit as the current one is gas. I think that if we were living in the house now I would get a tankless unit installed as I like the idea of it being energy efficient. For now a 50 gallon tanked water heater will have to do, now I just need to find a good cheap supplier in Canada.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:45 AM   #11
AZA
We'd be glad to help.....

Rewards Points: 10

Water Heater Suggestions

I was told by 3 of my plumbing suppliers here in the Wash DC area that cold water heaters will be increasing in price by as much as 30%! That will be nationally. So act fast if you are going to get anything...

AZA is offline   Reply With Quote