Water Heater Question - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2012, 11:22 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

water heater question

OK, in the interest of 'Full Disclosure' I am a GC. My training is as a carpenter, but I did a 2 year plumbing apprenticeship about 25 years ago. Don't shoot me for a dumb question!

I helped a friend by fixing his Bradford White water heater. A 40 gallon natural gas unit. It turned out that the high temperature limit switch that is flush mounted to the combustion chamber access door was bad. I replaced it and everything is working as it should. So far, so good.

My dumb question is: what is it there for? Why monitor the heat in the combustion chamber? Won't the T-stat turn off the burner. Is it a redundant safety feature in case the T-stat fails? Do all water heaters have this feature, just mounted out of sight?

This is just to satisfy my personal curiosity.

TIA Guys.

Advertisement

Chuck Kiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 11:24 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Rewards Points: 2,262

water heater question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Kiser View Post
OK, in the interest of 'Full Disclosure' I am a GC. My training is as a carpenter, but I did a 2 year plumbing apprenticeship about 25 years ago. Don't shoot me for a dumb question!

I helped a friend by fixing his Bradford White water heater. A 40 gallon natural gas unit. It turned out that the high temperature limit switch that is flush mounted to the combustion chamber access door was bad. I replaced it and everything is working as it should. So far, so good.

My dumb question is: what is it there for? Why monitor the heat in the combustion chamber? Won't the T-stat turn off the burner. Is it a redundant safety feature in case the T-stat fails? Do all water heaters have this feature, just mounted out of sight?

TIA Guys.
Ayuh,... Donno Chuck, but I'll bump this up, just to see an answer to the question....

I'd think it's a Safety feature, but don't know....

Advertisement

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,542

water heater question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Kiser View Post

TIA Guys.
by t stat i think you mean control valve...to answer your question...NO... safty switch monitors inside chamber for heat from blocked vent...t stat as you call it..measures inside tank..water temp...
ben's plumbing is online now   Reply With Quote