DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Water Heater Pressure relief valve problem (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/water-heater-pressure-relief-valve-problem-35859/)

joedadog 01-13-2009 09:08 PM

Water Heater Pressure relief valve problem
 
I have a rental house with a water heater that seems to leak out the pressure relief valve. I noticed a damp area that was dirty and molding on the floor below the relief tube. It seems dry but has been there for some time, it is not leaking constantly. Can someone tell me what causes that top happen. The water heater has to be at least seven years old. Do I have to replace the valve?

metx 01-14-2009 08:06 AM

the relief valve leaks because of to much pressure or faulty valve

Shoogy 01-14-2009 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joedadog (Post 212299)
I have a rental house with a water heater that seems to leak out the pressure relief valve. I noticed a damp area that was dirty and molding on the floor below the relief tube. It seems dry but has been there for some time, it is not leaking constantly. Can someone tell me what causes that top happen. The water heater has to be at least seven years old. Do I have to replace the valve?

more than likely the T&P valve has gone bad and needs to be replaced this is a common issue and should be handled by a proffessional as an improperl installed t&P valve can cause yur water heater to explode.

Reilley 01-14-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoogy (Post 212449)
more than likely the T&P valve has gone bad and needs to be replaced this is a common issue and should be handled by a proffessional as an improperl installed t&P valve can cause yur water heater to explode.

As seen on MythBusters, it can fly hundreds of feet into the air after shooting right up through your roof. Pretty scarey...

WaldenL 01-14-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reilley (Post 212511)
As seen on MythBusters, it can fly hundreds of feet into the air after shooting right up through your roof. Pretty scarey...

You can track that down on YouTube, actually quite scarey, however, I'm not sure that you'd need a professionaly to install a TPV. IIRC, on my water heater at least it's a simple screw-in valve on the side of the heater. I'd think it's a case of unscrew, tape, rescrew. Hardly professional territory.

-Walden

Reilley 01-14-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WaldenL (Post 212522)
You can track that down on YouTube, actually quite scarey, however, I'm not sure that you'd need a professionaly to install a TPV. IIRC, on my water heater at least it's a simple screw-in valve on the side of the heater. I'd think it's a case of unscrew, tape, rescrew. Hardly professional territory.

-Walden

I concur... just need to find the proper procedure. Probably goes something like this:

-kill the power
-kill the water supply
-drain the tank (or just relieve the valve until it stops relieving?)
-unscrew
-tape new valve
-screw in
-restore water
-restore power

Confirm this first.
-


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 AM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved