Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2010, 06:49 PM   #1

Share |

Water Heater not putting out!

We have a 40 gallon natural gas water heater that puts out maybe 5-10 gallons of hot water, then the remaining "hot" supply is lukewarm at best. Can anyone offer me an idea as to where to look to remedy this? Also, in a home with 3.5 baths, is a 40 gallon tank sufficient?

thanks

brokenhammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:57 PM   #2
HVAC / Plumbing

How old is the wh ? Sounds like a dip tube issue. Is 40 gal. enough ? depends on how long the showers are & how all the showers/tubs are used. A 40gal with 40 k imput should be enough. most now are around 32k btu from the box stores. Has it been providing enough hot water for 3.5 baths ?

kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenmac For This Useful Post:
brokenhammer (12-09-2010)
Old 12-09-2010, 07:04 PM   #3

It's 15 years old. We've only run one shower or bath at a time as long as we have lived here and it seems to be a consistent problem. After looking at a few diagrams, I bet you're right. Thanks a lot for the help.... are these easy to swap out?
Old 12-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
HVAC / Plumbing

Not hard to replace. At 15 yrs old. I think I would just replace wh. You are going to have to disconnect the cold water line to install new dip tube. You will have to go to plumbing supply to get a 40k. box stores only sell around 32k water heaters
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kenmac For This Useful Post:
brokenhammer (12-09-2010)
Old 12-14-2010, 01:44 AM   #5

Done. Getting the nipple out was a major pita, but it's up and good to go. Thanks for the tip. I would've never known.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:38 AM   #6

Broken Hammer

I would highly recommend the new Water Heater Soon. you could get another 4-5 years out of this one or you could get another 10 minutes. You are playing with a time bomb right now and the question is not will the tank give out but when will it give out. It is easier to do a repair like this on your own time then after it has flooded your basement and is an emergency. My rules are simple.
Recommend replacement if it is over 7 but, if customer insist on repair do the repair
If it is over 10 recommend replacement and if they insist on repairing them explain that there is no warranty. tat moving this water heater alone could cause the tank to rupture and that If for any reason after I get my tools off the truck the repaie does not work... I still get paid. and again recommend to get a new Water Heater.
Docwhitley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #7

Thanks for the insight. The tank never actually got moved. I just tinkered with the cold water supply. What's the likeliness that the tank would rupture? I have never seen this happen and maintain a fair number of them.
From a service provider standpoint, I certainly understand the approach.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #8

Here is a good read

http://www.ehow.com/about_4675739_wh...er-heater.html

Now I like the 10 year rule because the tank could be rusting from the inside and you never ever know until it is Leaking. And with the average family working 10-12 hours a day and Sleeping 8... There is not a good time for the water heater to leak where you will catch it right away. The Best of a Worse case scenario is it starts leaking when you go to bed and you find it in the morning.... Here are some numbers and the formula I used to figure them out

Total Volume of water= initial amount in tank+(average amount of water that can go through a 3/4 inch pipe*number of hours) 1410
So
TVW= 50 +(1410*8)
TVW= 50 + 11280
tvw= 11330 Gallons

Or to make it easy to picture
You could fill a 24 foot Round 3 foot Swimming pool While you were sleeping
Now while this is happening you have ruined
Basement
Furnace
Drywall
Insulation
Washer and Dryer
And anything of importance to you that you have down there

Now you could be one of the Lucky ones that catch it while it is slowbut, I just dont like taking that chance

I do not try to scare people but I know the following things
I believe in Preventive maintenance (This includes check ups and replacing things before they reach the end to prevent other damage)
I believe in Burst proof braided hoses
I believe in Water alarms that shut off the water to my water heater if it leaks
Old 12-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #9

I like the idea of the water alarms... where can you pick one up? I have never heard of them...
Old 12-14-2010, 02:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwhitley View Post
Now I like the 10 year rule because the tank could be rusting from the inside and you never ever know until it is Leaking.
+1 on the rusting issue.
If you have copper pipes, replace that heater asap. If rust from the heater settles in copper pipes a dissimilar metal problem happens with water as the electrolyte. Pin hole leaks in the copper pipe is the result and the entire pipe system has to be replaced.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 02:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenhammer View Post
I like the idea of the water alarms... where can you pick one up? I have never heard of them...
Here are a couple that I have used... I am in noway affiliated with any of them just a big believer in them
http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CC0Q8wIwAg#

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDAQ8wIwAw#

I want to say Home Depot and Lowes also carry them... I got mine from Fergusson Plumbing Supply