Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-04-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 13
Share |
Default

Water heater with a mystery leak


I have a 40 gallon gas kenmore water heater installed july 15th of 2011. I just bought this home in january so all I knew was there is a new water heater.

Yesterday I notice the drain pan is half full of water and has been leaking over onto the wooden platform and through the pvc drain line.
I soak up all the water so the pan was almost dry and was checking for leaks.

I put a glass under the t&p drain line and hours later the cup was empty but water was back in the pan.
I checked the flexes on top of the tank and everything is clean and dry up there.
I ran my hand along the base of the tank and its smooth and dry.
I checked the t&p valve and it looks clean and is dry.

Where could this leak be coming from or what else could I check to find out where this is coming from?

Curb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:11 PM   #2
Member
 
Lightfoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: ky
Posts: 410
Default

Water heater with a mystery leak


is the ceiling dry?
sometime the roof will leak around the vent pipe and run down the heater.
if it hasn't been raining, then mark that off.

Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 13
Default

Water heater with a mystery leak


Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightfoot View Post
is the ceiling dry?
sometime the roof will leak around the vent pipe and run down the heater.
if it hasn't been raining, then mark that off.
yeah, roof is dry.
Curb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:02 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 25,587
Default

Water heater with a mystery leak


Gas or electric?
If electric, cut the power and remove the cover plate , check for leaks around the elements and that general area.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 13
Default

Water heater with a mystery leak


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Gas or electric?
If electric, cut the power and remove the cover plate , check for leaks around the elements and that general area.
Its a 40 gallon gas.
Curb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 06:49 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,245
Default

Water heater with a mystery leak


Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb71 View Post
Its a 40 gallon gas.
did you check the drain valve...sometimes they leak when the tank is fired....thermal expanison causes pressure inside tank...maybe valve is leaking at alittle higher pressure...but not high enough to trip t p r valve..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Curb71 (08-04-2012), plummen (08-05-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
Chicago, IL
 
Michael Thomas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,037
Default

Water heater with a mystery leak


Is the heater properly sized for the demand - an undersized heater can experience excessive condensation.
__________________
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Michael Thomas For This Useful Post:
Curb71 (08-04-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 07:42 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 13
Default

Water heater with a mystery leak


Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
did you check the drain valve...sometimes they leak when the tank is fired....thermal expanison causes pressure inside tank...maybe valve is leaking at alittle higher pressure...but not high enough to trip t p r valve..
I didn't check the drain valve. I don't have a thermal expanison tank so that could be the problem. My pressure regulator is set at 80psi. The t&p valve is no leaking abs I've had a glass sitting in the drain pan under the copper t&p drain line and the glass is empty but the pan is filling up again. I'll move the glass under the drain valve to see if the drain valve is leaking.
Curb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Curb71 For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-04-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 13
Default

Water heater with a mystery leak


Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thomas View Post
Is the heater properly sized for the demand - an undersized heater can experience excessive condensation.
Yes. It's a 40 gallon tank on a 2 bath home and I live alone.
Curb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,245
Default

Water heater with a mystery leak


Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb71 View Post
I didn't check the drain valve. I don't have a thermal expanison tank so that could be the problem. My pressure regulator is set at 80psi. The t&p valve is no leaking abs I've had a glass sitting in the drain pan under the copper t&p drain line and the glass is empty but the pan is filling up again. I'll move the glass under the drain valve to see if the drain valve is leaking.
you should have expanison tank on your system reguardless..
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #11
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 13
Default

Water heater with a mystery leak


Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
you should have expanison tank on your system reguardless..
I thought a thermal expanison tank was only necessary if I had a check valve or back flow valve in the system.
Curb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:44 PM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,245
Default

Water heater with a mystery leak


Quote:
Originally Posted by Curb71 View Post
I thought a thermal expanison tank was only necessary if I had a check valve or back flow valve in the system.
even when you have a pressure regulator in the system its needed...some regulators have small by pass built in to help with expanison..some may even work for awhile...our water heater rep from bradford white requires expanison tanks in this case...that is why I feel you need one..IMO... fyi we never install new tanks without expanison tanks....best way....
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
Curb71 (08-04-2012)
Old 08-04-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
Member
 
biggles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,601
Default

Water heater with a mystery leak


there are only 5 threaded connections one might be dripping when it heats up....hot/cold...drain...relief.. and the gas valve/temp control how long does t take before water soaks the burner base pan.keep in mind the entire tank is the city pressure heating or not.....can't be condensation from a refill,and for it to be a pin hole it has to flow 24/7 the hot and cold are right into the heater..take a Q-TIP and try to push it into the threaded back part between the opening and the metal cover..of the others to see if it comes out wet..that base pan keeps getting wet it will rust out causing a heater changeout

Last edited by biggles; 08-04-2012 at 09:08 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to biggles For This Useful Post:
ben's plumbing (08-04-2012)
Old 08-05-2012, 04:21 PM   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 13
Default

Water heater with a mystery leak


Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
did you check the drain valve...sometimes they leak when the tank is fired....thermal expanison causes pressure inside tank...maybe valve is leaking at alittle higher pressure...but not high enough to trip t p r valve..
well, checked this morning and the pan is full and the glass under the drain valve is empty.
Curb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 13
Default

Water heater with a mystery leak


Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
there are only 5 threaded connections one might be dripping when it heats up....hot/cold...drain...relief.. and the gas valve/temp control how long does t take before water soaks the burner base pan.keep in mind the entire tank is the city pressure heating or not.....can't be condensation from a refill,and for it to be a pin hole it has to flow 24/7 the hot and cold are right into the heater..take a Q-TIP and try to push it into the threaded back part between the opening and the metal cover..of the others to see if it comes out wet..that base pan keeps getting wet it will rust out causing a heater changeout
not sure if I understand correctly. the drain pan takes a few hours to fill up. somewhere between 2 and 12 I'd guess. The supply lines at the top of the tank are dry.

Curb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water heater solutions to get hot water in timely manner daluu Plumbing 22 05-07-2012 08:44 PM
low hot water pressure angus242 Plumbing 10 01-08-2009 11:41 AM
Water Heater leak help needed :/ bluecifer Plumbing 9 12-17-2008 11:05 AM
Periodic release from (I think) the T&P valve on the water heater alexz Plumbing 3 08-15-2006 10:31 AM
Hot water heater leak? ddasher8 Plumbing 1 07-03-2005 05:00 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.