Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #1

Share |

water heater maintenance

I just replaced my water heater due to a leak, think it rusted from the inside out. Just wondering what kind of maintenance if any should be done on these things to make them last? Thanks for any advice.

ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:21 AM   #2

water heater maintenance

Flush it annually and remove/inspect the anode rod. Replace when it's eroded. But for the most part...the annual flushing will go along way to keep it in health. Check your owners manual to see how you should do it...and by all means be safe...remember it's HOT water your dealing with.

One thing I've always done before installing is to install a ball valve with an extension on the tank outlet..I really disliked the typical plastic shut offs. Of course since yours is installed...and filled, you could replace yours when you flush it next year.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:09 PM   #3

water heater maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by RippySkippy View Post
...remember it's HOT water your dealing with.
Don't be at all concerned if the water that comes out of your tank's drain valve comes out luke warm. It should be luke warm (at most) and not hot.

The reason why is that inside your hot water heater is a dip tube that directs the cold water to the bottom of the tank. Without that dip tube the cold water would flow directly to the hot water outlet, and you wouldn't get much hot water out of the tank before it ran luke warm.

When you open your hot water heater's drain valve to flush any sediment out of the tank, it's the water coming out of that dip tube that stirs up the sediment so that it flows out, and the water coming out of that dip tube is cold. So, when you drain your water tank, there will be hot water from the tank mixing with cold water from the dip tube to yield warm water coming out of the drain valve.

If you get hot water coming out of your drain valve, it could be the result of a broken dip tube.

If it wuz me, I'd flush your hot water heater every few months.
Old 02-07-2009, 09:17 PM   #4

water heater maintenance

Thanks guys. When I flush it do I just keep the cold water supply open and open the drain and run it for a while? How long should I run it?

What is the anode and where is it located?

Those plastic valves are junk. The one on my old heater pretty much broke off trying to drain it. Do these valves just un screw and then screw a new metal one on?

Thanks for your help.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:37 PM   #5

water heater maintenance

I turn my WH off in the morning after shower, then flush it that nite
If the water coming out is clear, stop flushing

Whats the thought on "self cleaning" water heaters?
Mine claims it is, I put a whole house filter on to keep junk out of the water lines
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:51 PM   #6

water heater maintenance

Ponch:

I don't like those white plastic shut off valves either. You can screw a plastic ball valve onto them, and then open the heater's valve and close the ball valve. Then, just leave the white plastic valve open from then on, or until you have to replace it. Maybe plumb a female hose thread onto the end of your valves so that you can hook up a garden hose to drain the heater into your floor drain if needed.

You NEED to keep the cold water supply to the water heater open while you flush it. Otherwise the partial vaccuum in the heater would prevent anything from coming out, right?

To flush the water heater, just open the drain valve until the water runs clear. Then close the drain valve again.

The anode rod should be located at the top of the heater and will have what looks like a hex head on top of it. IT IS NOT easy to remove these. You pretty well need a pneumatic impact wrench to take them out. I supposed if you hammered on it for long enough with an electric impact wrench it would shake it loose.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 02-07-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote