Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-16-2010, 01:58 PM   #1

Share |

Water heater - leaving home unattended for two months

Hi
i want to leave my home for several months next spring. I will maintain interior temp around 62 and have somebody make weekly checks. I wanted to know the best way to set my domestic hot water heaters. I intended to shut the water feed lines, turn down the temperature settings and leave one hot faucet turned on. The idea of leaving the one faucet open is that it would allow for expansion and contraction of the water in the tank as the heater goes off and on (normally, this would be done by forcing water back to the feed line, afaik. I don't want to turn the heaters off completely, because somebody else is going to be using my home for several days before i return, and i want to simplify their task when they first come in - so i dont want them to have to reignite the burner.
ideas?
bruce_hyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:19 PM   #2

Turn your main water off and turn the water heater to pilot, you don't need to leave anything turned on, whoever comes in only has to turn the main valve back on and water heater to on.
braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to braindead For This Useful Post:
bruce_hyman (10-16-2010)
Old 10-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #3

makes sense. pilot would be low enough theat input to the tank that i shouldnt have to worry about expansion/contraction.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:14 PM   #4

Also check your home insurance.Some companies require more frequent visits to a vacant home.Daily is a better idea than weekly.
daveb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daveb1 For This Useful Post:
bruce_hyman (10-16-2010)
Old 10-16-2010, 10:33 PM   #5

i will get the next door neighbor to look in. thanks!
Old 10-16-2010, 11:37 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Turn your main water off and turn the water heater to pilot, you don't need to leave anything turned on, whoever comes in only has to turn the main valve back on and water heater to on.
Why not just turn the pilot off? Why even keep the pilot lit? I have a second home that I turn it completely off every winter and drain it. Why waste the gas?
Old 10-17-2010, 09:20 AM   #7

To make it easier for someone who is going to stay overnight as opposed to just walk through the house and check it. Now if he accidentally turns the knob from Pilot to Off instead of Run then he will have to get down on his knees and relight the pilot.

To make absolutely sure that the tank is full of water first, a hot water faucet should be running before the heater is restarted.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-17-2010 at 09:24 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #8

good ideas. i *do* need to leave the house water on, because the weekly visitor will be watering the plants. thanks again.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:48 AM   #9
sylle1

Send a message via AIM to shirley6616

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post

What if your home has 2 water tanks & home is completely electric (no gas, no Propane & you will be gone several months)?

Last edited by shirley6616; 10-19-2010 at 01:50 AM. Reason: spelling
shirley6616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #10

well, i have two gas hw heaters. in any event, i think the goal is to not allow the heater tank to be in a "lock" mode, and also - if it leaks - to not have an unlimited possible flow of water. so i'd shut either the house feed, or the hw inlet feeds, shut them down (electric) or pilot (gas), and leave a hw and a cw faucet partly open to allow the hw heater to not go into vacuum as it cools down. just mho. reverse on returning to the house.