DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Plumbing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/)
-   -   Water Heater Knob Repair... (http://www.diychatroom.com/f7/water-heater-knob-repair-155873/)

njsiii 09-04-2012 09:18 PM

Water Heater Knob Repair...
 
So I just had a friend put this water heater in a year ago and we ran into an issue during the inspection (we are selling our house). They said the water heater is shot. Here is what is wrong below but my question is, can that know be replaced? It looks like there was a leak and the knob became corroded over time. Any ideas? Also, if it can be fixed, anyone have an estimate on the total cost from a plumber (per the report, we have to hire out).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3661063...in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3661063...in/photostream

Any help would be awesome as we need to get this fixed/replaced ASAP with the move.

joecaption 09-04-2012 09:28 PM

I must be missing something. This is a one year old water heater and all that's wrong with it is that one corroded dielectric nipple from a leak and they expect you to change the whole heater:eek:

I'm not there to look at it but if that's all it is, it's about a $3.00 nipple and a .78 cent copper coupling to fix it.

Is there a ball valve to shut the cold water off right there at the water heater?

No idea what "knob" is that needs replacing.

njsiii 09-04-2012 09:40 PM

I don't know much about it but they also said the furnace what shot (it wasn't, we called a guy and he fixed a small issue for $90). From the pictures my only guess, and again I have no idea, is that maybe that metal knob that is zoomed in on the first picture cannot be replaced? Again, I am the last person that should be trying to guess what's wrong but the buyers want the thing fixed tomorrow or us to agree to paying $500 towards a new water heater which we thought was nuts.

I have no idea, just looking for a little guidance to if anyone else ever had this kind of issue and if it can be fixed. I know it's tough because you only have the pictures to go off of.

njsiii 09-04-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njsiii (Post 1003389)
I don't know much about it but they also said the furnace what shot (it wasn't, we called a guy and he fixed a small issue for $90). From the pictures my only guess, and again I have no idea, is that maybe that metal knob that is zoomed in on the first picture cannot be replaced? Again, I am the last person that should be trying to guess what's wrong but the buyers want the thing fixed tomorrow or us to agree to paying $500 towards a new water heater which we thought was nuts.

I have no idea, just looking for a little guidance to if anyone else ever had this kind of issue and if it can be fixed. I know it's tough because you only have the pictures to go off of.

Also, the knob that I was referring to is that "Nipple" I guess. Sorry, I don't know the lingo.

ben's plumbing 09-04-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njsiii (Post 1003391)
Also, the knob that I was referring to is that "Nipple" I guess. Sorry, I don't know the lingo.

very simple repair...shut off water... cut copper tubing..remove old nipple and drop tube replace nipple and reinstall drop tube...its needed for proper operation of heater.connect piping...test for leaks...:yes:

njsiii 09-04-2012 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben's plumbing (Post 1003395)
very simple repair...shut off water... cut copper tubing..remove old nipple and drop tube replace nipple and reinstall drop tube...its needed for proper operation of heater.connect piping...test for leaks...:yes:

I appreciate that. We still have to have it professionally done so it will cost us labor time but it's not the $500 that we were thinking it could be (knock on wood).

joecaption 09-04-2012 09:52 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-10623-Di.../dp/B0006JLVEO
Forgive me there $9.00.

Lowes Home Depot, and plumbing supply will have them.
Should not even take an hour to replace it.

Sounds like someone's trying to get something for nothing. What do you want to bet, you give them $500.00 off and they fix it there self. for less then $20.00.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.