Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2009, 05:06 PM   #1

Share |

Water heater keeps leaking out of TPR valve

Hello-
Replaced my temperature pressure relief valve on my water heater due to excessive discharge out of the overflow pipe.

Again, I am having the same problem!

Here is what I have:

10 yr old water heater (heats well-very hot)
2 month old TPR valve installed
pressure regulator valve (lowering the water pressure to the house from the outside main)

I can't believe the TPR would have failed already! Is it possible the pressure regulator valve has failed and is letting too much water pressure into the house, and, with all faucets closed, is forcing the water out the TPR overflow? If so, can I test the water pressure by getting one of those guages and screwing it to my outside hose bib (comes out from the house, so I am assuming it is regulated too).

Thanks,
Julian
Colorado

knac1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Quote:
Originally Posted by knac1234 View Post
Hello-
Replaced my temperature pressure relief valve on my water heater due to excessive discharge out of the overflow pipe.

Again, I am having the same problem!

Here is what I have:

10 yr old water heater (heats well-very hot)
2 month old TPR valve installed
pressure regulator valve (lowering the water pressure to the house from the outside main)

I can't believe the TPR would have failed already! Is it possible the pressure regulator valve has failed and is letting too much water pressure into the house, and, with all faucets closed, is forcing the water out the TPR overflow? If so, can I test the water pressure by getting one of those guages and screwing it to my outside hose bib (comes out from the house, so I am assuming it is regulated too).

Thanks,
Julian
Colorado
And how hot is very hot. What is the temp?

10 yrs old probably needs replaced. The sencing bulb on inside the tank that tell the gas valve to come on is probably covered with calcium or another type of build up that act as an insulator causing the tank to overheat.

Watch the video and replace it!!!!!

Tempstar and Trane Dealer

Last edited by Plumber101; 08-13-2009 at 07:10 PM.
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #3
Tool Geek

Julian, I had to replace my outside pressure regulator twice. I got a pressure gauge at my local Plumbing Supply House (not HD) similar to this one:
http://www.professionalequipment.com...essure-gauges/

The last time I replaced it (June this year) was because of a still drippy new TPR. I should have used the gauge first. Then when I put the gauge on the hose bib it read 160 PSIG. The new $100 regulator kicked it back to 60 PSIG.

Welcome to the Forum.
PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 06:31 PM   #4
A "Handy Husband"

Do you have an expansion tank on your HW tank (boy, that's an oxymoron)?
The hot water expands the water trapped in your plumbing system and increases the pressure. Get a pressure gauge with a hose female connection (look in the sprinkler section of your favorite big box) and connect to the drain valve at the bottom of your water heater (that's better English). Monitor the pressure. If excessive add a expansion tank.
rjniles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 10:24 PM   #5

I say this tongue-in-cheek with my fingers crossed behind my back...

If you tested the new T&P valve after installing it you might as well replace it again. Testing them seems to nearly always allow tiny solids from inside the tank to cause the valve to not seat just perfectly ever again. In my experience, once they've been tested they're going to leak to some extent.

That being said, it is a good idea to test them regularly.
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 05:29 AM   #6

I have to agree with "Plumber101". The obvious answer is the old TPR valve and the new one didnt fail they are working. Your HWH is overheating, your operative phrase "gets too hot" tells it all. Your HWH is not long for this world and is over heating causing the TPR valve to do its job. There is also truth in what "KCtermite" says about testing the TPR, its probably corrupted but is now only compounding the problem. Its time to replace the HWH or at the very least have a professional come out and see why its overheating before your house becomes the victim like the one in the YOUTUBE video.
faucetman886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:27 AM   #7

julian, it is more than likely just too much water pressure not too much hot water causing the drip. try turning down the pressure at the cut-off. this may work. you have to get it "just right" or if you can't hone it in, install an in line regulator. note that at certain times of the day the demand is greater than other times. also, certain days of the week it is greater. less people use water on sat and sun mornings since they are not getting ready for work. thanks, bb
buddy builder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 11:19 AM   #8

Thanks all for the replies.

I bought both a guage to check pressure and a new regulator valve if mine is faulty (if it's not, I will return it, but the closest hardware store to me with either of these items is 45 mi away!).

If I find the pressure is too high, is it possible to adjust the screw on top of the existing regulator valve to reduce the pressure (if so, what direction do I unscrew...the screw is on top of the bellhousing which is pointing up)? I assume if it has no effect on the pressure guage reading that it is faulty and I will put the new one in.

Oh....the water heater gives very hot water because I have the tstat turned up 2/3 the way....a bit hotter than I used to run it as I like the hot water very hot. But, maybe that is contributing and I should turn the tstat down?

Thanks again for all the responses....hopefully this won't be a whole weekend project!!!

Julian
Old 08-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #9
Tool Geek

Julian,
Thanks for the update.
The failure mode that I have seen on water pressure regulators is that they completely fail to regulate. In my case where the water pressure from the street is 160 PSIG, Both my regulator failures resulted in my gauge reading 160 PSI. Luckily the failures were ten years apart.

I have two hose bibbs on the front side of my house one is plumbed at full street pressure and one is regulated downstrem to 60 PSI. In one way I have been lucky because my gauge only goes up to 160 PSI. My plumber said he blew out a gauge years ago when he tried to measure line pressure with a gauge whose full scale was less than than line pressutre.

I never tried the adjustment on a regulator. If you measure > 80 PSI with your gauge, I would say your regulator is bad. In both cases where I replaced mine, the pressure came right up to 60PSI on the nose.

If your reading is 50-80, you could try the adjustment although those pressures I do not think would affect your TPR.

Please let us know what happens.

PaliBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 06:52 PM   #10

Hi all-

Took the outside pressure......140 lbs!!!!

Tried adjusting the screw on the original regulator valve.....useless!

Installed the new one.....pressure reads on the guage exactly what the valve is set to at default.....50 lbs!

No leaks.....will fire up the water heater and see if I have the overflow problem, but am hoping not as the problem existed slightly when the water heater was OFF, but it already is not there.

Cautiously saying its fixed. First time for everything, including this board....thanks!

Julian
Old 08-14-2009, 08:08 PM   #11
GC/Master Plumber/Mech

Glad to hear that it was just the PRV and not the WH.

Way to go and good job.

Tempstar and Trane Dealer
Plumber101 is offline   Reply With Quote