Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:22 AM   #1

Share |

Water heater issues?!?

im going to start at the beginning and work my way to my yelling and screaming last night...

I recently sheetrocked my kitchen and one of my 3 prong outlets were old and the support to screw it into the box was broke. My house was built in the 1950's and the previous home owner did everything half or jerry rigged everything... so in order to turn of the power to my kitchen i was forced after trying all circuit to turn off the entire power to the house (the box isnt labeled at ALL) So i changed the outlet without any issues... everything worked fine..

i took a shower and noticed that even on full hot water the shower was only luke warm so i got done tried all the other fausets and the same thing happened. i went to see the hot water heater and noticed alot of water coming out of the 2x2's that covered what i call a clean out drain in my basement floor. So i cleaned the water up shop vac'd the water and notice the cap on the pipe was off... after alot of hard work and cursing i got the cap on (that was rusted to the high heavens) it was still looking but i knew if i could just get it to stop gushing i could try to replace the cap the next day... After this a went to the hot water heater and it was blinking green which indicated it was either on recyle or lock-out (btw its a oil heated water heater) i pushed the red button to fire it back up (assuming because of the power being out it locked out) it fired up and stopped fired up and stopped 3 times after reading a few things it was priming... so it stayed blinking green but 35 minintes later i had hot water.. i went upstairs flushed the toilet and went back down stairs to inspect the water heater one mor etime... this is when i noticed that the slop sink is backed up and the slop sink drains off to the same pipe that i recently capped..This is when the yelling and screaming too place.. i know i need to snake the sewer line because its obviously clogged somewhere past the clean out drain.. .. but at 10:30pm i couldnt rent a snake... so the water eventually draing out of the slop since and i told my family not to flush the toilet... NOW this morning my wife said she had the same issue as i did the previous day with lake of hot water.. so i have a few questions....
1) could me turning off power to the hot cause the hot water heater to completely drain causing a clogg and resulting in popping the cap off in the clean out drain resulting in the water on the floor..

2) i dont see a thermostat on my water heater could it be anywhere else...

3) SHOULD i snake...

4) why wont my hot water heater stay (green) or stay ignited..

the oil pump for the hot water heater is a Beckett R7184b if that helps at alll

i also read that this model locks out the homeowner after 1 use.. so if you hold the red button down for 60seconds it goes into professional use and will start up again.. i did that as well and it started 3 times and stopped...

any suggestions... please help before i paid a plumber $$$$$$

NJdan is offline   Reply With Quote