Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 2,000

Water heater install

Installed a water heater today, 50 gal electric. Chose the type with a clean out door since the house is on well water and sediment is an issue. No problem with the installation but a curious thing happened and made me question what could be the cause of it. The house is plumbed with a clear tubing, pex like so you can actually see the water flow in some areas, such as the inlet and outlet lines to the water heater. Anyway, connected the heater and began to fill as I've done many times before. As the tank reached the fill point I was at the heater and through the clear outlet (hot) side I saw this 6" black shadow pass through the pipe. About 10 seconds later the water flow stopped through every tap. It was very dense as if it was an actual plug. 30 seconds later the water began to flow again, and sputtered out dirty black water at first. Now, 6 hours later every thing is fine and no pressure loss. So my question is...was this some type of grease or oil in the tank from the factory? It wasn't in my water line and the tank was new in the box. This is the first water heater I have installed with clear tubing, so I have not seen this before. Anyone have similar experiences?

Missouri Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #2

Water heater install

might of been a gift from the factory left in the pick up rod on the hot side...could of been cutting oil grease

biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,152

Water heater install

It pays to remove all airiators on the faucets and the shower head any time major plumbing work is done. You bound to get some trash kicked up in the lines.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
plummen (01-28-2012)
Old 01-27-2012, 11:02 PM   #4

Water heater install

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
It pays to remove all airiators on the faucets and the shower head any time major plumbing work is done. You bound to get some trash kicked up in the lines.
That I did....before turning the water back on. I've done this before. But I've never seen this before since I've never dealt with clear water lines before. Maybe it's always been there.....just haven't seen it.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:36 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 618

Water heater install

Any sheetrockers around the water heater before it was installed and after they had eaten a meal?

It happens.
cleveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 11:39 PM   #6

Water heater install

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveman View Post
Any sheetrockers around the water heater before it was installed and after they had eaten a meal?

It happens.

Nope. Took it out of the box myself, put it in to place and hooked it up. Stood there and listened to it fill.