Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #1

Share |

Water Heater Drain pan

Hi,

I have a 24" water heater drain pan I bought with a 1" drain connection. Any ideas where I can tie this drain into? I really don't want to just have a pvc pipe on the floor sitting over the floor drain. I have a condensate pump for my furnace next to to it but is would that be smart to tie into there?

miguel24932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 PM   #2

Water Heater Drain pan

run the overflow drain to a location so if you did have a leaking WH the water will be directed where no damage will be done.Where thispoint is depends on your situation.A pump would work but only if the water heater sits higher than the pump.Water doesn't go uphill.

HVACTECH96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 09:59 PM   #3

Water Heater Drain pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVACTECH96 View Post
run the overflow drain to a location so if you did have a leaking WH the water will be directed where no damage will be done.Where thispoint is depends on your situation.A pump would work but only if the water heater sits higher than the pump.Water doesn't go uphill.
Yes, the pump would sit higher. Can you tie in such a small pipe to the main drain?
Old 03-20-2013, 11:03 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Water Heater Drain pan

I recently ran a new drain for my furnace and added one for the humidifier, planing to eventually add a water heater pan too and tie in, basically this is what I did:

Just cut a hole in the drain and fit the T fitting in it so it's snug. I ran that drain close to the furnace for this purpose though.

Actually on this subject, think a gas line would have enough play for me to lift the tank up a few inches to slide the pan under it? Been wanting to install one myself.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 11:45 PM   #5
Always learning...

Water Heater Drain pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
Actually on this subject, think a gas line would have enough play for me to lift the tank up a few inches to slide the pan under it? Been wanting to install one myself.
If you had flexible water connections on top and a flexible gas line connection I'd say yes you could probably get away with it, but I can see in the pic that you don't have the flexible gas line so (unless your gas line has vertical room to move) I don't think you could do it w/o disconnecting the gas.
fetzer85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 12:48 AM   #6

Water Heater Drain pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguel24932 View Post
Yes, the pump would sit higher. Can you tie in such a small pipe to the main drain?
No direct connection to the drain is allowed. It doesn't have a trap and will allow sewer gas into your home. You must discharge indirectly to an approved location such as a floor drain, sink or pump basin.
plumberman134 (03-21-2013)
Old 03-21-2013, 07:48 AM   #7

Water Heater Drain pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Squirrel View Post
I recently ran a new drain for my furnace and added one for the humidifier, planing to eventually add a water heater pan too and tie in, basically this is what I did:

Just cut a hole in the drain and fit the T fitting in it so it's snug. I ran that drain close to the furnace for this purpose though.

My drain pan drain is only a 1" pvc line. Can I tie a 1" line into the main drain, which is 4"?
Old 03-21-2013, 08:49 AM   #8
Always learning...

Water Heater Drain pan

Like E said, you can't 'tie' into your drains. It would have to be a loose fit into a drain w/ a trap, ie. floor drain, sink drain. Without seeing any pics, only other thing I can think of is elevating your water heater to a height where you can route it to your condensate pump. Would that be possible? And if so, is it worth the trouble to not have your drain line laying on the floor?
Old 03-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #9
Wire Chewer

Water Heater Drain pan

Quote:
My drain pan drain is only a 1" pvc line. Can I tie a 1" line into the main drain, which is 4"?
The way I did it, size does not really matter. In my case I used 3/4" but 1/2" would work too. If you click the picture you can zoom in more and all it is, it's a T with a bit of extra pipe sticking out and it's shoved into the drain, I had to cut a hole with a dremel to make it fit. It fits very tight so it wont move. This also allows the rest of the drain to be usable.

Idealy you should also have a water sensor in it's path, as the drain pan is simply a fail safe if the heater fails. You want to know that it's taking on water, if it does.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM   #10
Always learning...

Water Heater Drain pan

I doubt that his floor drain is sunk down like yours though. Did you do that or was it like that when you bought the house?
Old 03-21-2013, 02:59 PM   #11

Water Heater Drain pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
No direct connection to the drain is allowed. It doesn't have a trap and will allow sewer gas into your home. You must discharge indirectly to an approved location such as a floor drain, sink or pump basin.
A floor drain has no trap? What do you mean discharge indirectly?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #12
Always learning...

Water Heater Drain pan

Floor drains have traps - what he's saying is you're not supposed to physically join your pan drain pipe to your actual drain pipe.
Old 03-21-2013, 04:19 PM   #13

Water Heater Drain pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetzer85 View Post
Floor drains have traps - what he's saying is you're not supposed to physically join your pan drain pipe to your actual drain pipe.
my toilet and laundry sink tie into the main drain so why can't the hot water heater pan drain?
Old 03-21-2013, 05:14 PM   #14
Always learning...

Water Heater Drain pan

Your toilet and laundry sink have p traps.

If you tie your pan drain directly into your sewer drain without a trap, sewer gases will flow into your basement, which smell awful and are unhealthy.

A trap (w/ sufficient water in it) will prevent those gases from entering your house. About a year ago my wife complained that the basement in one of her work offices smelled like crap, literally. I'm certainly not a master plumber or anything but I took a look at it. This building is downtown with buildings on either side of it. There is a large (prob 12" pvc) drain traveling from a neighbors basement, through this one, and into another. There was a 1.5" pvc drain for condensate from the a/c coil above the furnace - no pump, just a straight drip directly into an open p trap and over a couple feet to the main drain line. Low and behold the trap was dry and there was a STRONG draft flowing out of the trap. Apparently the trap dried out from whenever the last time the a/c had ran. I filled it and showed my wife where it was in case it happened again. I guess what I'm saying is a trap isn't always a reliable thing to use, ie. with a water heater drain pan that will never/rarely see water.

Last edited by fetzer85; 03-21-2013 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #15

Water Heater Drain pan

Quote:
my toilet and laundry sink tie into the main drain so why can't the hot water heater pan drain?
Maybe you need to buy a basic plumbing book to get a grasp on some of the basic concepts.
You're pan is drained by an indirect drain line-they are not trapped and as stated.
What are you doing with the T&P line on the water heater? where does it drain to?