Water Heater Corrosion - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2014, 05:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 99

Water Heater corrosion

Hello Folks,
Not a long time ago I bought a house whose electrical 40galons water heater (apparently bought in 2005, so not too old) has its water inlets and outlets at the base of the water heater very corroded and will not move (tried plumbers crescent wrench, large self gripping wrench, pb blaster luibricant [ maybe the solvent would also contaminate the inside tank too], maybe a tool with a hammer action would help) for no avail. The plan was to remove the threaded inlet and outlet and the install new dip tubes and new outlet and inlet. Below is a pic of the aggravated water heater:

I would imagine that it is a common occurrence given that the water leaking over a long period of time would cause the metals to weld due to corrosion, and thus there must be a ways or working around it.
thanks

Advertisement

tk3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,650

Water Heater corrosion

Screw a coupling on the nipple so the nipple doesn't egg and use the largest pipe wrench whose jaws will fit between the tank and coupling. Sometimes the bond can be broken by first tightening the fitting just a bit. If that doesn't do the job I'll give away one of my secrets of a red neck impact wrench.

When you install the new parts use teflon tape in case you want them off again in a few years.

Advertisement

SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
Ghostmaker (11-10-2014), tk3000 (11-13-2014)
Old 11-12-2014, 09:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 99

Water Heater corrosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorSitizen View Post
Screw a coupling on the nipple so the nipple doesn't egg and use the largest pipe wrench whose jaws will fit between the tank and coupling. Sometimes the bond can be broken by first tightening the fitting just a bit. If that doesn't do the job I'll give away one of my secrets of a red neck impact wrench.

When you install the new parts use teflon tape in case you want them off again in a few years.
Thanks for the input!

The threads are so rusted out that I am not sure if a couple would tread in. But even if I can screw a couple on the nipples, wouldn't the couple be screwed in clockwise and the nipple itself is also screwed clockwise in relation to the tank? Another typical issue is the tank moving while I try to turn the nipples with a large plumbers wrench. Maybe an impact wrench would work out if the couple holds. What is the secrete then? I happen to have a powerfull impact wrench?

Anyhow, I do even know whether or not the tank is in working order (bought the house with it); so maybe another water heater is in order (got one at Searsoutlet for cheap)
tk3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2014, 09:04 AM   #4
Retired Army Veteran

Rewards Points: 1,350

Water Heater corrosion

Quote:
Originally Posted by tk3000 View Post
Thanks for the input!

The threads are so rusted out that I am not sure if a couple would tread in. But even if I can screw a couple on the nipples, wouldn't the couple be screwed in clockwise and the nipple itself is also screwed clockwise in relation to the tank? Another typical issue is the tank moving while I try to turn the nipples with a large plumbers wrench. Maybe an impact wrench would work out if the couple holds. What is the secrete then? I happen to have a powerfull impact wrench?

Anyhow, I do even know whether or not the tank is in working order (bought the house with it); so maybe another water heater is in order (got one at Searsoutlet for cheap)
By the looks of those nipples, corrosion, and the fact you don't even know if it's in working order, another hwh may very well be your best option in this case. Just an opinion.
jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jmon For This Useful Post:
tk3000 (11-13-2014)