Water Heater Is Acting Weird. - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 16

Water heater is acting weird.

We are at the new to our house about three months. The WH acting weird twice since then. Only when the weather is getting hot.

I have gas heater. Setting up is on HOT. It was fine when we moved in Feb. In April we have 2 hot days than normal weather (about 95 - 100 in April). During those 2 days, the light is still on but the water is not warm enough for taking shower. I had to turn the control to the max hot in order to have hot water. Then it is back to normal after the hot weather gone (2 days). Turned control back to HOT position.

Yesterday, the hot weather is coming back and also the WH problem.

Advertisement

hpdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 07:22 PM   #2

Anyone?

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

My guess is, replace the water heater.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:41 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregzoll View Post
My guess is, replace the water heater.
That's probably what you will need to do. And how does a gas water heater have a light? Do you mean the pilot light? Check the date on the water heater and post what you find...and any other information you may have.
Old 05-11-2012, 07:06 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 524

do you know how old the water heater is? On the data tag on the heater is a series of code numbers. Check on the manufacturers web site to see how to decode the serial number to determine the date of manufacture. If you cant figure it out, post a picture of the tag and maybe someone here can figure it out.

Can you give some better details of what is happening?

Is the burner coming on after water has been ran thru the tank? or does it only come on when the control is turned up?

Are you on city water or a well?

your location would be a big help also as some areas of the country have different water issues than others.

Can you post pictures of the gas control valve showing the two positions you are refering to?

I am wondering if the thermostat for the gas control is burried in mineral deposits at the bottom of the tank and not allowing it to read the water temp properly.
danpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:56 AM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,048

Sometimes with an older gas water heater, the heat does not kick on as soon as it should when the tankful of water cools down overnight.

Then the first person to take a shower in the morning gets a lukewarm or cold shower, and the tank finally kicks on when new fresh really cold water enters and gets to the bottom of the tank.

If you slowly turn the dial up a few notches and the heater starts up and then you slowly turn the dial back down to where it was and the heater keeps going for many minutes this signifies having ths problem.

I do not know how to fix the problem.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:28 PM   #7

I am pretty noob about it so I will try details at much as I can.

Name: Bradford White.
Model #: M450S6EN12
Serial no: SK3522723. Based on their web site, it was made in Oct 1998. Same year as the house was built (http://www.bradfordwhite.com/findaserial.asp)

The control temp nob turns counter-clockwise (left to right - temp low to high). The more turn to the right, the redder (is it even a word?) the color becomes. The word HOT is about in half way.

I normally keep temp at HOT position. It's been fine since we moved in in Feb this year (cold/cool weather)

In April we have 2 hot days than normal weather (about 95 - 100). The water was not warm enough to take shower. Kept checking, only the pilot light, no burning. So I had to turned the control temp higher to get fire burning. After the hot weather gone 2 days later, I turned it back to HOT position. It's been fine since.

On the last few days, hot weather is coming back. Same problem is back too. Now, I have to turn the control temp pretty high in order to get the fire burning.

It's city water. Oh, I live in S.Cali - Inland Impire area.

Last edited by hpdad; 05-11-2012 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-11-2012, 11:36 PM   #8
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 2,508

Outside weather has nothing to do with the behavior of your water heater. If it is Natural Gas, call who supplies it, and have them check over the meter, and as a courtesy, they will also look over the gas using appliances in the house to make sure they are working properly.

At 14 years of age, it is time to get a new water heater. Next thing that usually happens is that you wake up one morning, or come home from work, with a whole lot of water damage.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote