Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #1

Share |

Water hammer problems

I recently tapped into my 3/4 copper water line where it first enters the crawl space from the water meter and ran a 3/4" copper line to the rear of the house 40' away. I did not secure the water line to the floor joist but suspended it from the floor joist with wood strips that had a 1" hole through each. I ran the line though each of those wood strips. I installed a back-flow preventer and a water faucet at the end of the line for use in the back yard. Now every time we turn off a faucet or flush a toilet in the house we have a very noisy water-hammer in the water line. I can turn off the valve to that line and the hammer stops. Is there some way to correct my problem. I've tried installing a stand pipe of 18" with a cap on the end to see if that would absorb the hammer but it did not help.

Shyster & Shyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 09:41 PM   #2

Water hammer problems

I suspect your line is banging against the 1" holes. Water is surging down that line when you operate quick closing valves such as toilets, ice makers or washing machines. 3/4 pipe should be supported 6' max. distance. Drill 1 3/8" holes and use plastic pound in anchors or strap the pipe to the joists using 2-hole suspension clamps. Using these methods your pipe will not rub on wood and yet will be supported properly.

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:05 PM   #3

Water hammer problems

Eplumber... thanks for the suggestions. I was afraid that not having the water line firmly secured to the joist was causing some of my problems. Do you have any experience with water-hammer arresters? I wonder if a couple installed in that long line would absorb some of the shock of fast closing valves.
Old 08-23-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
Wire Chewer

Water hammer problems

Another solution is using water hammer arrestors at the fixtures that cause the problem. They basically add damper so when water flow is suddenly stops, it takes most of the force, and not the pipes. I found these helped a lot with my washer.
Red Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #5

Water hammer problems

Red.... thanks. I did not know there was such a thing as an arrestor until I started reading some of the suggestions offered on DIY. I will certainly try installing some of them at or near the valves causing the problem.