DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Water hammer problems

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Shyster & Shyst 
#1 ·
I recently tapped into my 3/4 copper water line where it first enters the crawl space from the water meter and ran a 3/4" copper line to the rear of the house 40' away. I did not secure the water line to the floor joist but suspended it from the floor joist with wood strips that had a 1" hole through each. I ran the line though each of those wood strips. I installed a back-flow preventer and a water faucet at the end of the line for use in the back yard. Now every time we turn off a faucet or flush a toilet in the house we have a very noisy water-hammer in the water line. I can turn off the valve to that line and the hammer stops. Is there some way to correct my problem. I've tried installing a stand pipe of 18" with a cap on the end to see if that would absorb the hammer but it did not help.

#2 ·
I suspect your line is banging against the 1" holes. Water is surging down that line when you operate quick closing valves such as toilets, ice makers or washing machines. 3/4 pipe should be supported 6' max. distance. Drill 1 3/8" holes and use plastic pound in anchors or strap the pipe to the joists using 2-hole suspension clamps. Using these methods your pipe will not rub on wood and yet will be supported properly.

#3 ·
Water Hammer

Eplumber... thanks for the suggestions. I was afraid that not having the water line firmly secured to the joist was causing some of my problems. Do you have any experience with water-hammer arresters? I wonder if a couple installed in that long line would absorb some of the shock of fast closing valves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.