Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

water hammer

I've been having a noise in the wall after flushing the toilet and when water is filling, now its even worse, when my back sprinklers comes on, it makes the same noise. I had a free eval that was offered from my water utility today and the plumber states its a water hammer and pressure in the pipes. She states its not bad, maybe just beginning but they do not give any advices or fix the problem. She recommend me to look on line. I looked it up and it states this can cause too much pressure and can cause pipe damages. I'm not sure if I should hire a plumber or if this is DIY project. Any ideas anyone before its too late. Thanks for your feedback.

mlsaephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 07:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

water hammer

Get a cheap pressure gauge from home or hardware store. It connects to any hose bib(utility sink, outside bib) and will tell your the line pressure. It should be below 70#, ideal about 50-60. More than that and valves have a hard time handling that.

A 'clunk' when a toilet or other valve shuts off is a hammer. Noise while water is running, rumbling, vibration, whistling, is often a loose washer and/or a shutoff valves(cycle all shutoff vales closed to full open) not fully open, and too high pressure. There are regulators you can install to reduce pressure, and anti hammer devices, but knowledge of soldering is usually needed. There is usually one main anti hammer at the inlet to the house. It is usually a piece of verticle pipe about 2-3' high with a cap on top. It is supposed to be full of air and acts as a shock absorber. Over time they become water logged, air dissolves into the water. Shut off the water, remove the cap, drain the system down so that is once again full of air and reinstall the cap.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Just Bill For This Useful Post:
mlsaephan (03-09-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 07:20 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 252

water hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsaephan View Post
I've been having a noise in the wall after flushing the toilet and when water is filling, now its even worse, when my back sprinklers comes on, it makes the same noise. I had a free eval that was offered from my water utility today and the plumber states its a water hammer and pressure in the pipes. She states its not bad, maybe just beginning but they do not give any advices or fix the problem. She recommend me to look on line. I looked it up and it states this can cause too much pressure and can cause pipe damages. I'm not sure if I should hire a plumber or if this is DIY project. Any ideas anyone before its too late. Thanks for your feedback.
the link can get at box store's their are more i just found this one . they have some that are soldered in ? http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CHQQ8gIwAA#
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:14 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 10

water hammer

I tried shutting the main water and turn on all faucets and let water drained for 8 hours but the water in the bathtub was still dripping. when you turn the main water on, you can still hear the water hammer, it did not solve the problem. could it be problem in the pipe in the bathtub since water never stopped draining. also, regarding the main water , should that be turned all the way when turning water back on. any suggestions.thanks.
mlsaephan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Experienced

Rewards Points: 2,000

water hammer

If you can sweat a joint then its a DIY, if you can't find which end of the torch to light, then call a plumber.

Mark