Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-11-2012, 12:53 PM   #1

Share |

Water hammer

Have a water hammer issue, mainly when the master bath toilet is flushed. The main area of the noise is in the master shower wall. The picture is of the arresters on the washing machine but I am unsure how to change them. Are they soldered on? Where can I get replacements, home improvement centers do not have this type that I can find. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Water hammer-sam_0445.jpg  

NavySeniorChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 02:24 PM   #2

Water hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeniorChief View Post
Have a water hammer issue, mainly when the master bath toilet is flushed. The main area of the noise is in the master shower wall. The picture is of the arresters on the washing machine but I am unsure how to change them. Are they soldered on? Where can I get replacements, home improvement centers do not have this type that I can find. Thanks
don't jump the gun,,,,,take tank lid off toilet and flush it..as it fills up watch the fill valve and water as it gos to shut off..see if its hammering in there and shaking the water.... it could be fill valve going bad...

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ben's plumbing For This Useful Post:
user1007 (08-11-2012), VIPlumber (08-11-2012)
Old 08-11-2012, 04:31 PM   #3

Water hammer

The water hammer isnt just when the toilet is flushed, just worse. I can shut off the shower valve quickly and hear the hammer. Not sure if that matters but I think it is something other than the valve in the toilet but I will definitely check that first. Thanks
Old 08-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #4

Water hammer

Ben,

I did as you suggested and did not see any signs of the toilet valve causing the leak. Do those arresters just unscrew from the valve?
Old 08-12-2012, 01:09 PM   #5

Water hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeniorChief View Post
Ben,

I did as you suggested and did not see any signs of the toilet valve causing the leak. Do those arresters just unscrew from the valve?
I believe they do ..they are not rechargable...I really don't think that is your problem that little o5 arestor is for washer only because washer valve closes fast...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:25 PM   #6

Water hammer

sounds like someone either didn't strap the piping good enough or if you have a pressure regulator on the main coming in it will act as a check valve. adding an additional shock arrestor may help.

DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote