Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #1

Share |

Water hammer

I have an issue with water hammer. The wet wall in my master bedroom is currently open on one side (my wifes closet), unfortunately the noise seems to be coming from the wall inside my shower. I tried draining my lines and so forth but it just lessened the noise (and not even that much) and did not eliminate it. My house is bulit on a slab so I do not have access to the plumbing. The hammer is the worst when the front bathroom toilet is flushed. Ideas?? Thanks!!

Last edited by usnavychief41; 05-20-2012 at 06:35 AM.
usnavychief41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 03:26 PM   #2

Water hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by usnavychief41 View Post
I have an issue with water hammer. The wet wall in my master bedroom is currently open on one side (my wifes closet), unfortunately the noise seems to be coming from the wall inside my shower. I tried draining my lines and so forht bu tit just lessened the noise and did not eliminate it. My house is bulit on a slab so I do not have access to the plumbing. The hammer is the worst when the front bathroom toilet is flushed. Ideas?? Thanks!!
I always wanted to try this idea but never had water hammer to try it. Maybe you could try it and report the results:

USING A GARDEN HOSE TO ACT AS A WATER HAMMER ARRESTOR TEST:
Connect one end of a garden hose to a hose bib that's the farthest from the main input water line from the city. Insure that there's no water in the hose. Install a trigger type gun or a threaded cap on the end of the garden hose. Coil the garden hose and put it on some saw horses or table so that it's higher than the hose bib. Open the hose bib faucet all the way but never press the trigger on the gun. This will create a water hammer arrestor. Does your water hammer stop?

If the water hammer stops, try installing the garden hose on a hose bib closest to the main water input line from the city. Does the water hammer still stop?

If the water hammer stops in both cases, maybe installing an expansion tank on the cold input line to your water heater might work as a whole house water hammer arrestor. Some folks say this can work while others say it won't work. The ones that say it can work base it on the premise that the sudden increase in water pressure is what causes the water hammer. Maybe the garden hose test can be an indicator.

Also, verify that your home's water pressure is about 60 psi. Too high water pressure amplifies water hammer problems.

HRG

Last edited by Homerepairguy; 05-19-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #3

Water hammer

I already have an expansion tank which I installed a couple years back. The hammer just started maybe 6 months ago.
Old 05-20-2012, 06:42 AM   #4

Water hammer

#1 Check the incoming water pressure.
Are you on a well or city water?
If it's city they should be able to come out and check your pressure to make sure the pressure regulator is set right and working.
If the pressures to high it can cause all kinds of problums.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #5

Water hammer

Quote:
I already have an expansion tank which I installed a couple years back. The hammer just started maybe 6 months ago.
Well that dispels the expansion tank can stop water hammer theory. Thanks for the confirmation.

HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #6

Water hammer

The bladder in the tank could still have burst or is low on air.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Evstarr (06-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #7
Master Plumber

Water hammer

Quote:
I have an issue with water hammer. The wet wall in my master bedroom is currently open on one side (my wifes closet), unfortunately the noise seems to be coming from the wall inside my shower. I tried draining my lines and so forth but it just lessened the noise (and not even that much) and did not eliminate it. My house is bulit on a slab so I do not have access to the plumbing. The hammer is the worst when the front bathroom toilet is flushed. Ideas?? Thanks!!
Try this turn the water off in all the toilets in the home flush them so that theirs no water in the tank. Now go to each fixture sink shower etc run the water turning it on and of rapidly.and see if you still have the problem.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 10:34 AM   #8

Water hammer

install water hammer arresters like this one.
http://www.siouxchief.com/Supply/Arr...i-Rester.7R7YG
That should solve your problem. you might have to install them at every fixture?
Nailbags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 02:35 PM   #9

Water hammer

How can I install arresters in PVC pipe or in the flexible woven metal used on the toilets? I see that I have arresters on the hot and cold lines on my washing machine
Old 05-20-2012, 02:52 PM   #10

Water hammer

Quote:
How can I install arresters in PVC pipe or in the flexible woven metal used on the toilets? I see that I have arresters on the hot and cold lines on my washing machine
Arresters are available for all types of pipes and applications. Your pipe is prolly CPVC- arresters can be purchased that glue on and angle stops are available with mini arresters for your toilet.
What is your water pressure? You said this started 6 mths ago. Something has changed to cause this. You should determine this before buying the arresters.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #11

Water hammer

Water pressure is right around 70
Old 05-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
Just a DIY guy

Water hammer

Check the air pressure on your expansion tank. You will need to shut the water off at the main, drain the tank by opening up faucets lower than the tank, leave them open, and then check the tank's AIR pressure with an air pressure gauge.

The tank should be at the same pressure as your water pressure, which you said was 70 psi. If it is low, get out your bicycle pump and pump it up. Most tanks have a max pressure of 80, so do not exceed that.
M3 Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #13
JOATMON

Water hammer

Water hammer noise is usually of two types....

The most common is because of loose pipes. When you turn on a facet (or toilet), the water start flowing pretty fast through the pipe....when you turn off the water quickly, the momentum of the water wants to push the pipe in the direction of the water flow....if the pipe is loose, you will hear it bang. This is easy to confirm by closing the facet slowly to see if you still get the noise...

The othe cause is a valve that is not closeing smoothly....typically the toilet.

I can make my hot water pipe make water hammer noise if I close the facet in our bathroom real quick....but I also know the pipe is not real secure.....on my list of tasks....

chief...in your case I suspect the pipes in the bathroom wall are not reall secure....

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2012, 08:08 AM   #14

Water hammer

You said the hammer started about 6 months ago.

Any plumbing mods around that time?

Simple fix: Open all shut off valves to full open position. That's hot/cold at sinks, washing machine, cold at toilets, lawn sprinklers etc.

I've had similar issue with balancing shower valves, especially all in one type where one handle turns on water flow and also controls hot/cold temp mix. I believe instructions say to open balancing screw adjustments to full open and then adjust hot max temp setting. I also believe the shower head needs the flow restrictor installed for pressure to be at factory design. If you've changed any shower parts, check these.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #15

Water hammer

Only plumbing mods done are shower heads. Bought a new arrester to install on teh cold water libne of the washing machine but the one on there now appears to be soldered in place and I am nto sure how to remove it. Could replacing the valves in the toilets help the issue?