Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

water flows uphill?

Building my own home. Did the plumbing myself. Built the shower with liner and tested to make sure no leaks before putting deck mud in the liner.

No leaks, everything fine. Then...

As I drained the approx. 2" of water from the shower liner, I got a leak from an as-yet-unfinished bath tub drain. Very weird because the water would have to run against gravity to exit the tub drain line. Here's the setup:

--1.5" tub drain---------\
.................................|
.................................|-----2 inch drain-----vent----trap------shower
2" vent and sink trap----|
...........................to sewer

(I notice that once posted in the discussion board, all the spaces are removed at the beginning of lines, so I added periods so you see the layout correctly. Ignore the periods.)

I was careful to allow 1/4" slope (or slightly more) per foot of run, so the water would have to run a couple of feet uphill to get out of the tub drain. In addition, I used all long sweep Ts and elbows in the horizontal runs. Any ideas what might have caused the water to backup out of the tub drain? The only thing I can think of is something caught in the line down from the T where the 2 inch shower drain meets the tub drain line. Since it's a brand new house, I was very careful not to let anything get in the lines...

Jamie

jleonardwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
Rob

Rewards Points: 520

water flows uphill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonardwv View Post
Building my own home. Did the plumbing myself. Built the shower with liner and tested to make sure no leaks before putting deck mud in the liner.

No leaks, everything fine. Then...

As I drained the approx. 2" of water from the shower liner, I got a leak from an as-yet-unfinished bath tub drain. Very weird because the water would have to run against gravity to exit the tub drain line. Here's the setup:

.................................|-----2 inch drain-----vent----trap------shower
2" vent and sink trap----|
...........................to sewer

(I notice that once posted in the discussion board, all the spaces are removed at the beginning of lines, so I added periods so you see the layout correctly. Ignore the periods.)

I was careful to allow 1/4" slope (or slightly more) per foot of run, so the water would have to run a couple of feet uphill to get out of the tub drain. In addition, I used all long sweep Ts and elbows in the horizontal runs. Any ideas what might have caused the water to backup out of the tub drain? The only thing I can think of is something caught in the line down from the T where the 2 inch shower drain meets the tub drain line. Since it's a brand new house, I was very careful not to let anything get in the lines...

Jamie
You didn't stick anything in the lines so anything wouldn't get in the lines and forget to take it out did you?

Robpo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,034

water flows uphill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonardwv View Post
Building my own home. Did the plumbing myself.

While you have the saw and glue out...
change that tub/shower to 2"
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote