Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-12-2010, 06:40 AM   #1

Share |

Water Filtration System on new refrigerator

Today I am installing a new refrigerator. The salesman suggested I tap into the hot water rather than the cold water. This seems counter intuitive to me since I will be making ice, crushed ice and filtered water. But, I don't like my water really cold so this might make the water filtered but not cold. I am connecting with plastic tubing rather than copper. Any problems with this?

Art Deco House is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:08 AM   #2
Household Handyman

IMO: YES. Unless your refrigerator is very close to your water heater you will not be getting hot, or even warm, water to your ice maker. Think about this-how long does it take for hot water to run out of your kitchen faucet when you turn on the HOT only? The ice-maker uses such a small amount of water you will not be getting even luke-warm water into the ice-maker. "I'm connecting with plastic tubing instead of copper" Again IMO: I do not use ,nor recommend, using plastic tubing for this application. Yes, it's easier for the homeowner, but I have seen so many where the tubing comes out of the fitting at one end or the other later. I prefer, and will only use, the copper tubing kits. I do leave a big turn behind the fridge for moving the unit out for cleaning . Also IMO: Filters are a good thing, provided you place one where you can easily access it and do change the cartridges on schedule. Just my 2 worth, David

Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:05 AM   #3

I can see no reason for tapping into the hot water line for the frig water connection. I don't like the plastic tubing, but if you use it, make sure you place the insert into the tubing at the ends, so the tubing will not collapse when tightening the connectors. The filter is usually placed in an easy to get to location for changing the filter element.
Old 11-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #4

See post #11 here:

Water heater to refrigerator ice maker
Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 07:09 PM   #5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect
Hot water freezes faster. Although the causes are disputed the effect is real. If nothing else (assuming the water entering is the same temperature from line losses) the hot water line will have less dissolved gasses and solids. Not that it matters much your ice maker is timed anyway. The only benefit would be slightly clearer ice.
chayce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:02 AM   #6
Licensed Master Plumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by chayce View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mpemba_effect
Hot water freezes faster. Although the causes are disputed the effect is real. If nothing else (assuming the water entering is the same temperature from line losses) the hot water line will have less dissolved gasses and solids. Not that it matters much your ice maker is timed anyway. The only benefit would be slightly clearer ice.

Read the entire Wiki Post. Note the word "sometimes" and under certain conditions. Those conditions are rarely met in normal circumstances.

Plastic line often turns into a flood disaster, go with copper. If you get tastey icecubes install a charcoal filter for that line.