Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #1

Share |

Water Filters in boil water order

Hi!

When I got home last night, the water lines clanked around as I went from fixture to fixture and the water was pretty cloudy. Thismorning, it turns out that there was a 'boil order' for the water in the area. They said water will be going on and off until Thursday (and it's Tuesday).

I have a number of different filters in my house. I have a 20 micron whole house filter, which then goes into a softener, which then gets distributed. I also have a fridge water filter, a reverse osmosis water filter, and then another filter that consists of a 10 micron carbon filter and a 10" cation softener filter, which feeds an espresso machine.

Since boil orders are new to me, I don't know what to do when we're done. I've read that you should drain everything, and some sites say to run bleach through stuff to sanitize it. Do I have to replace all the filters? Should I soak them in bleach to sanitize them? Should I just drain everything and let the clean water clean everything out? My concern is that if contaminated water passed through the filter, would the filter become contaminated?

I'd rather not replace the filters because with so many of them, it can get pretty expensive. However, if I have to, I have to.

Thanks!
wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:39 PM   #2

I figure once the boil order is lifted you should be able to just pour a couple of caps (bleach bottle cap) into each of your drained down filter housings, refill and let 'em soak a bit (say 30 min) and then run a fixture downstream till the bleach smell is out.

Out of curiosity when are the filters due for their next change?
VIPlumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:41 AM   #3

I had a feeling that the filter change was coming soon.

The whole house filter is a flowmax reusable one; you just rinse the sediment off and pop it back in. The filter's in pretty good shape, so I figure I can get a couple more months out of it.

I just put the espresso filters in about a week ago. The fridge one is about a year old, but we don't use it for water and rarely use ice. I just ordered a set of new filters yesterday for the RO system.

I wrote the reseller of the filters and spoke with the city. They both said that once the clean water is on, the water is treated with chlorine and that will kill anything that is caught in the lines. I'll probably use your recipe for the RO system though since I believe it filters the chlorine out, and the tank may still have some bad water in it.

Thanks!
wiz561 is offline   Reply With Quote