Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-13-2007, 11:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Water filter - Leaking Tap!

I just installed a water filter which attaches to the kitchen faucet. However, after a few seconds of turning on the cold water, the tap begins to leak.

Does this means I have to much PSI?
Thanks

pmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 06:40 AM   #2

The water pressure should not have changed by installing a filter. Are you saying the water is coming out of the faucet spout or is the filter connection leaking? Let us know.

Old 02-14-2007, 07:32 AM   #3

The actual cold water knob is leaking. The filter is not leaking. It's as if though there is back pressure and for some reason water is emerging from the cold water knob.
pmail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 10:06 AM   #4

My guess there is additional back pressure from adding the filter, the water has to be passed through something to filter it. You should check to see if there's a seal kit available for your faucet set and install it. If nothing else, take the filter off and see if the leak goes away...if so, you know for sure it's the issue.

Rip.
RippySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:37 AM   #5

These days people are becoming very health conscious so in order to get clean drinking water they not only install water filters but now many people have started installing shower filter for getting clean water with which they can bath. Having shower filters ensures complete safety and clean water for bathing.
arunskh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:58 AM   #6

If the filter is the type with replaceable elements (cartridge type), remove the filter and run the water through the empty cartridge holder. This will eliminate any back pressure and let you know if it is the filter or the faucet causing the problem. My guess is that it's the faucet handle seal. May be a washer or an "O" ring.
Old 02-20-2007, 06:30 PM   #7

Smile

Certainly a seal kit will most likely help you on the hot and cold water side. Based on experience the charcoal filters are really tough to force water through the first few days. Some of the charcoal sediment even slips through into the clean water. As time passes the pressure stress on the lines reduces and the water flows easier through the charcoal filter reducing the leakage at the on/off valves. By then the leak starts at a new point where the water filter cap screws on.
Personally I buy bottled water. As time passes you may find like I did that the cost of repairing the unit and buying filters far out weighs the cost of bottled water. The stress of a new leak every week you grow tired of quick. Plus the water pressure through the water filter is reduced greatly. As the future comes on us, there may be more of a need for the water filter. For now Ill buy bottled water.