Water Filter - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

water filter

The water in my salt water filter is brownish.I never noticed this before.Is this normal? The water is about 3 inches above the salt.
Thanks

Advertisement

lousyhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
Licensed Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 250

water filter

What are you using for salt?

Advertisement

Old 02-03-2010, 09:54 PM   #3

water filter

One is Mortons Salt,in a yellow bag..The other is in a blue bag and is pellets,it may be Mortons also.
I had a plumbing problem,not related to the filter.When the plumber saw the amount of salt I had in there,he told me to remove some of it.I believe that's when It began.He tolsd me I could use the salt I had removed again.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Water quality'n pump guy

Rewards Points: 250

water filter

You have a water softener, not a filter.

Solar crystal salt has some atmospheric dust in it and when the salt dissolves the dirt shows up in the water in the salt tank. Any that gets into teh resin tank during brining is flushed out the drain line, it doesn't get into your water. So it's not a problem and you can use a wet rag etc. to wipe any dirt out of the salt tank.

The level of the water in the salt tank depends on your salt dose and how much salt you have in the tank and if you have a salt grid or not and if the softener uses Pre or Post brine refill.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #5

water filter

Russ,thanks for the clarification.the tank is about4 feet.The salt is about 18" to 24"The water is about 3 to 4 inches above the salt.Is that okay ,or do I need more salt.Thanks again,
Old 02-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #6

water filter

your water/ brine level sounds high but it depends on the salt dosage and the actual volume of brine being created . Who makes the softener ? Ohh yea most likley you can fill the salt pot right up to the top. If the ICK factor of the dirt in the water bothers you pur in 1/2 cup of house hold bleach in to the salt pot once a month, this will disinfect the water and will not be introduced in to your water under normal circumstances. you can check to see if there is a float in the tank and if it is just floating or if it is under water. Most units use floats and a timed refill to control how much water is added to the tank to make the brine solution . The float should be about 1/2 sumberged in most cases.

Advertisement

arcticbouncer is offline   Reply With Quote