Water Down A Well - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-23-2011, 11:49 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

water down a well

i have a fealing our well might be low on water or slow recovering rate. it it safe to dump water down then well from a water truck?

Advertisement

kwalge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

water down a well

A better option IMO is to get a storage tank to pump into, and a secondary pump to pump from there to the house.

Kinda expensive, but for the price you're going to pay for a water truck, if you dump it down the well, there's no guarantee that it's going to stay there. If your well is drilled into an underground creekbed, it may just continue flowing downstream, and then you've flushed your truckload of water down the proverbial toilet.

Do you have this problem every year?

Advertisement

Old 07-23-2011, 12:13 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

water down a well

weve been having this problem for a while now. our water turns off for a few secs comes bsck on then eventually stops for a hour or so. we just got the well pump replaced the other day and still same problem
kwalge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:36 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,226

water down a well

How deep is your well? Do you know the recharge rate? Doesn't matter how good the pump is if the well can't keep up with your usage. As an example, my well's recharge rate is only about 1.5 gpm, but it's over 700 feet deep. So even if I'm using 2 or 3 gpm in the house, there's 700 feet of 6-inch diameter, water-filled pipe to draw down until the level drops to where the pump is. That's a lot of water, several hundred gallons. But if your well is shallow (I've seen some only 50 feet deep), that might explain your problem.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 07-24-2011 at 08:39 AM.
md2lgyk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 10:18 AM   #5
Household Handyman

Rewards Points: 1,054

water down a well

IMO: From my experience with some of the well drillers in my area---when you had the well pump replaced they should have "sounded" the well to determine the well depth. They also know the "normal" water level depths in your area and should have advised you on your well depth to water level depth ratio. "md2lgyk" brings up a good point also: The "recharge" rate. Most people don't know about this and this is another thing your well person, if reputable, should be able to tell you.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
Newly Retired

Rewards Points: 75

water down a well

Thurman is right they should have sounded the well and told you how deep it was. Another thing is possible if its like what I ran into. A year after I bought my house my pump quit, the original owners had just had it replaced about 6 months before we purchased and produced the invoice. It was a 1/2hp deep well pump and the fellow didn't make a good connection on the wiring so I had to pull the pump up. It was only down 70 feet and the original pump was down 120 feet so I am not sure why they didn't put it down all the way but in your case maybe the pump isn't at the proper depth and may need to be dropped down so it is in better water for recovery.

Advertisement

tuchodi is offline   Reply With Quote