Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2009, 02:21 PM   #1

Share |

Water coming from shower head...

I got problem here and I can't figure it out....

Recently I replace tub / shower faucet assembly. It is single lever faucet assembly.
Water is coming out from shower head when filling the tub.

I've had pressure valve taken apart few times, I don't see anything wrong with it.
I did remove the spout, hoping it would be restricted but it made no differences.
I did swap shower head, same results......

Now what????

by the way, it didn't do that before and the main reason to replace the faucet assembly is because the valve itself is leaking.
BigWalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:44 PM   #2

Your valve body is up-side down
gjp31254 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 03:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjp31254 View Post
Your valve body is up-side down

really?
I install it correctly....
the letter cast on the pressure valve said shw, tub, cold and hot.

shw goes on top...correct...
Old 11-04-2009, 11:55 PM   #4

What brand faucet and what kind of pipe did you run from the faucet to the spout?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
plumber Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:49 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber Jim View Post
What brand faucet and what kind of pipe did you run from the faucet to the spout?

American Standard...Williamsburg trim

The pipe is the same, I haven't change the pipe...it is combination of PEX tubes and flex hoses.

The flex hose runs from bottom of pressure valve to spout.

FYI...whole house water line is PEX tubing....that's the way it is in North Carolina.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:14 PM   #6

that flex hose is more than likely restricting the flow to the spout causing some of the water to go to the shower head. have any pictures of the pipe?

Old 11-05-2009, 10:36 PM   #7

Quote:
that flex hose is more than likely restricting the flow to the spout causing some of the water to go to the shower head. have any pictures of the pipe?
same hose with old faucet assembly......why would it be insufficient with new faucet assembly?

I'll post picture(s) tomorrow.
Old 11-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #8

you should have a full 1/2" ID from the valve to the spout. Anything less than that and you run the risk of water pushing back up to the shower head. you should hard pipe to the spout always.

Also, When you say hose you don't mean a supply hose like used to supply a sink faucet do you? If so then that is a big no no.

Old 11-05-2009, 10:52 PM   #9

Quote:
you should have a full 1/2" ID from the valve to the spout. Anything less than that and you run the risk of water pushing back up to the shower head. you should hard pipe to the spout always.
It is full 1/2"....I did measure the ID. My first thought was the line too small but............

Quote:
Also, When you say hose you don't mean a supply hose like used to supply a sink faucet do you? If so then that is a big no no.
May I ask why?
Just curious, the hoses were there before I bought the house 3yrs ago.

Anyway, Are the supply hose to cold side and hot side of valve ok???
Old 11-05-2009, 11:10 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWalt View Post
It is full 1/2"....I did measure the ID. My first thought was the line too small but............

May I ask why?
Just curious, the hoses were there before I bought the house 3yrs ago.

Anyway, Are the supply hose to cold side and hot side of valve ok???
Supply lines are designed for sink faucets and should not be in the walls.

What kind of hose are you talking about going to the spout? even pex to the spout could have a restriction in the fitting itself not the pipe.

As far as why your last valve didn't do it i don't know. It could have just been more forgiving and just got lucky.

Old 11-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #11

Quote:
Supply lines are designed for sink faucets and should not be in the walls.
Ok, they are not in the walls, they're in open space behind tub / shower wall....I'll post picture, so you'll see what I mean.

Quote:
What kind of hose are you talking about going to the spout? even pex to the spout could have a restriction in the fitting itself not the pipe.
The whole house is plumbed with PEX. I hate that chit. I rather have copper pipes but it is not feasible for me to change entire water lines right now.
The PEX lines and fittings are not restrict....trust me on that but I understand what you're saying.
Here's what I am going to do....remove flex hose from pressure valve to spout, install 1/2" copper pipes with proper fittings from pressure valve to spout and then go from there.

Quote:
As far as why your last valve didn't do it i don't know. It could have just been more forgiving and just got lucky.
Join the club....wait until you see the pictures, whoever did this in first place is a butcher....My gosh, what a hack.
Old 11-05-2009, 11:34 PM   #12

The pex is fine on the hot and cold supply to the tub/shower valve. you just want 1/2" brass or copper from the vlave to the spout.

Old 11-06-2009, 10:10 PM   #13

Did you take those pictures?

Old 11-06-2009, 10:39 PM   #14

The picture below...new valve assembly in over size [hacked] hole....

The picture below...you can see the PEX lines and flex hoses....I didn't have the chance to correct the line from valve to spout...

Picture below...finish product...PITA with oversize hole....not that easy to line up the trim plate....

Old 11-06-2009, 11:27 PM   #15

Ok, your problem is that you have used a supply line to feed the spout. If I was looking at that correctly. Hard pipe it and you should be good. You should also consider removing those other sink faucet supply lines and pipe it correctly.