Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-13-2012, 12:37 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Water coming back into my bath tub.

I have water from my kitchen sink and my toilet coming back into my bath tube. I had the main line snaked, my kitchen sink and my bath tube. I had also the septic tank pumped out and cleaned. I was told to take out the toilet and snake out the drain hole. when I did that I put water in my bath tube and water was coming back to the toilet. hole at this moment I still have my toilet off. is this normal?

Last edited by Claudio; 10-13-2012 at 12:40 PM.
Claudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 01:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

No, not normal. There is a clog that has not been cleared. Might need to have the pipes looked at internally with a camera that has a flexible end. See if the plumber you hired will do it. Depending upon the terms of your agreement and where the clog is located, you may have a legitimate complaint.
Professional plumbers may offer other suggestions as well.

retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to retired guy 60 For This Useful Post:
Claudio (10-13-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #3

Thank You! very kind on your part to respond to my question! I had same reply over the phone with a handyman.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:35 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

where did they snake the main from? did they snake between the toilet and the main?
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #5

from the roof in the main line
Old 10-13-2012, 05:05 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 250

Glad to help.
Basically from what you wrote the plumber cleaned the main through the vent stack. I always thought that the main is accessed through a clean out plug found in the basement (if you have one). Very curious to hear what a pro says about this. Obviously the tub and toilet are connected to one pipe and 1. that pipe is clogged somewhere before it connects to the main or 2. the main is still clogged. Simple test. Go to the kitchen sink and open the faucet fully. How does the water drain? If it drains well, likely the main is OK. and the drain pipe after the toilet needs to be snaked.
Please stuff an old towel or good size rag in the toilet waste pipe to prevent flies or noxious gases from enterring your home while waiting for a solution. Your plumber might want to use that opening to inspect or run his snake so for the time being leave the toilet off. I assume you have a second one somewhere in the house. You will need to replace the wax ring once you put the toilet back in its place.

retired guy 60 is offline   Reply With Quote