Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2010, 09:21 PM   #1

Share |

Water to bathroom sink????

The sink in my bathroom will barely trickle water when turned on. Its been a couple of months since this started. Do I have a busted pipe leading to those lines? What could the other problem be. I would think I would have water pressure issues if this were the case. I've got an older house (late 50's/early 60's) and I don't think the plumbing, pipes or anything about the sink has been changed since the house has been built.

BTW, there are no valves under the sink where the water lines run to the faucet controls. This is on both the hot water and the cold water valves.
Adamch311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:43 AM   #2
DIY staff

Your plumbing is likely so clogged with rust and mineral deposits that it is long over due for a re-pipe job.

Sorry about that! There is a life to every thing--those pipes are about 10 years past the end of it.

---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 12:02 PM   #3

If it is only the bathroom sink, try removing the aerator from the end of the faucet spout and turn the faucet on. Sometimes the screens get clogged. Remember, you are looking at the aerator upside down so turn clockwise to remove.
drtbk4ever (06-14-2010)
Old 06-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Your plumbing is likely so clogged with rust and mineral deposits that it is long over due for a re-pipe job.

Sorry about that! There is a life to every thing--those pipes are about 10 years past the end of it.

---Mike---
Yeah. I figured it is probably an issue with old pipes being clogged and we've been having to replace the under sink drain pipes because they just been wearing out and cracking. After seeing what was built up inside those, I knew something similar had to be built up in my water pipes.

We are planning a remodel and it will be coming up in the next few weeks. I just didn't want to get in there and install a new vanity and faucets only to realize we had more of problem than I thought. I figured if we had a busted pipe under the house we'd have water pressure issues through out the house. I'll try removing the areator when I get home and see what happens.

Removed the areator and it worked perfectly! Thanks so much. Now time to replace the under sink valves with shut offs.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #5
Long-Time DIYer

Old obsolete galvanized pipes should last a minimum of about 40 years, but usually last much longer, depending on the water quality going through them.
No matter what, they always scale up inside until eventually just plugging up completely if left to do their thing too long. The only solution is total replacement with PEX, copper or CPVC, etc.
If you have to do it piecemeal, start nearest the end of the lines at fixtures and work back. The scale builds up at the end of the lines worst first and works it way back up the supply line.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:09 PM   #6

Yeah, we have better than average water quality here so they will last a little longer I would think.