Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2011, 11:19 PM   #1

Share |

water backing up from basement drain

I just had my tenant call me and she stated water, maybe sewer matter, is backing up from the basement floor drain. It is a very old house, early 1900's. Do I rod it out? Is it possible that the cast iron pipe from the house to the city sewer has rotted away?

klaus135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 11:43 PM   #2

Probably needs rodding. However, there is the possibility that the floor drain is on a branch line with say, a clothes washer. The secondary line may be the issue and not the main building drain. Given the age of the plumbing, I'd wager on the main line.

TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 06:32 AM   #3

But definitely a clog which needs to be addressed. Around here, the line to the street is terra cotta if the house is over 30 yrs or so. Very prone to problems.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #4

Ok. So I had a company come out and rod the pipe to the sewer main in the street. He pulled out several handfuls of tree roots. Now he wants to come back with a hydro jet for $900 that may or may not clear the pipe. He stated the pipe out to the. main in the street has collapsed. What will hydro getting do other than make it look Luke a clean collapsed pipe? Earth will still come inside the pipe. I'm banking on the rodding working and the hydro jet is there way of making more money? Or is the hydro jet ligit?
klaus135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:23 PM   #5

jetting is legit. In your case(roots) I would use a "root rat" attachment. It uses high pressure water to cut the roots off at the inner wall of the pipe joint. A cutter head on the rod only tears at the roots, leaving lots still intact. I use a camera to precisely place the root rat on the roots- about every 3' in clay pipe.
As for the collapsed pipe- jetting won't fix it but may help the flow by removing debris in the line.
Back to the camera- have you seen inside your sewer line?
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote