Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Question

Water


I have no hot water pressure in my kitchen sink at all and no cold water pressure in my sink Upstairs in bathroom. We recently in July bought a new hot water tank.
Would the pipe going into the top of the tank have anything to do w/ the pressure if they are in wrong?
What could cause this? The pressure is fine in shower, laundry room sink (which is in same room as tank) and washer.

HELP!

Kimberly1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:23 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 558
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Water


The screens on the aerators are probably clogged. Unscrew the aerator from the end of the spout, and clean them out.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/5168290...Restrictor.jpg

Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ishmael For This Useful Post:
Kimberly1082 (10-28-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 11:55 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Water


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
The screens on the aerators are probably clogged. Unscrew the aerator from the end of the spout, and clean them out.

http://img.alibaba.com/photo/5168290...Restrictor.jpg
Thanks, but it was fine b/f the new water tank and after that it started. Its been this way since July..just been busy!
Kimberly1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:10 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 558
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Water


When pipes are cut and patched (as when replacing a water heater) scale, rust, dirt etc - not to mention solder, soldering paste, bits of teflon tape, pipe dope - can break loose from the inner walls of the pipes and get stuck in the aerators and flow restrictors. Did you check them?
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ishmael For This Useful Post:
Kimberly1082 (10-28-2010)
Old 10-28-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Water


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
When pipes are cut and patched (as when replacing a water heater) scale, rust, dirt etc - not to mention solder, soldering paste, bits of teflon tape, pipe dope - can break loose from the inner walls of the pipes and get stuck in the aerators and flow restrictors. Did you check them?
We haven't, but someone said taht where the Cold is on HOt and the Hot is on Cold that it messed it up and possibly the whole tank.
Kimberly1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:33 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 558
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Water


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly1082 View Post
We haven't, but someone said taht where the Cold is on HOt and the Hot is on Cold that it messed it up and possibly the whole tank.
Ah...missed that part. Although that needs to be corrected, it shouldn't "mess up" the tank, and it really shouldn't have any direct affect on the water pressure. There's a dip tube on the cold water supply inside the tank. As you use hot water, you're drawing the water off the top of the tank, and cold water comes in at the bottom of the tank - through the dip tube - to replenish the tank (if it were all piped correctly).

In your case, your cold water is entering at the top of the tank, and you're pulling hot water from the bottom. It's certainly not going to work as efficiently as it could; you're probably not getting as much hot water as you should, AND that dip tube is sucking any sediment that may settle at the bottom of the tank up into your hot water supply and clogging those aerators.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Water


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
Ah...missed that part. Although that needs to be corrected, it shouldn't "mess up" the tank, and it really shouldn't have any direct affect on the water pressure. There's a dip tube on the cold water supply inside the tank. As you use hot water, you're drawing the water off the top of the tank, and cold water comes in at the bottom of the tank - through the dip tube - to replenish the tank (if it were all piped correctly).

In your case, your cold water is entering at the top of the tank, and you're pulling hot water from the bottom. It's certainly not going to work as efficiently as it could; you're probably not getting as much hot water as you should, AND that dip tube is sucking any sediment that may settle at the bottom of the tank up into your hot water supply and clogging those aerators.
So the aerators are what puts out the pressure?
Kimberly1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 601
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Water


If every faucet isn't affected, then its not the tank. When 1 or more fixtures are causing problems, you need to start with the aerator. It has a fine screen that can catch debris and restrict the flow coming out of the spout. If its not the aerator, you need to take the faucet apart and make sure nothing is inside. If its not the faucet, you move to the shut off valve under the sink and make sure nothing is blocking it. Basically you start at the end and work your way back to the water lines. Aerator is the easiest and most likely place to start
the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the_man For This Useful Post:
Kimberly1082 (10-29-2010)
Old 10-29-2010, 08:44 AM   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Water


Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
If every faucet isn't affected, then its not the tank. When 1 or more fixtures are causing problems, you need to start with the aerator. It has a fine screen that can catch debris and restrict the flow coming out of the spout. If its not the aerator, you need to take the faucet apart and make sure nothing is inside. If its not the faucet, you move to the shut off valve under the sink and make sure nothing is blocking it. Basically you start at the end and work your way back to the water lines. Aerator is the easiest and most likely place to start
The kitchen has Cold pressure and not HOT and the bathroom sink Upstairs has HOt pressure and NO cold.
Kimberly1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: port st lucie, florida
Posts: 445
Rewards Points: 252
Default

Water


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly1082 View Post
So the aerators are what puts out the pressure?
aerators don't put out preasure. they are i belive reated for so many gal's going through them. tho I bet the screen's are pluged. take them out and see . Once they are out turn on the faucets let them run a little.
del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:31 AM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 558
Rewards Points: 500
Default

Water


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly1082 View Post
The kitchen has Cold pressure and not HOT and the bathroom sink Upstairs has HOt pressure and NO cold.
Then it's most likely the respective hot or cold stem or cartridge in each faucet. Often the rubber washer inside the shut-off valve under the sink can break down/disintegrate over time, and the little pieces of rubber can become lodged in the stems. It's an easy job for a plumber or handyman, but if you're not careful or good with tools, you can open a can of worms.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ishmael For This Useful Post:
Kimberly1082 (10-29-2010)
Old 10-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Water


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishmael View Post
Then it's most likely the respective hot or cold stem or cartridge in each faucet. Often the rubber washer inside the shut-off valve under the sink can break down/disintegrate over time, and the little pieces of rubber can become lodged in the stems. It's an easy job for a plumber or handyman, but if you're not careful or good with tools, you can open a can of worms.
Thanks everyone so much for their help. I will give this to my handy man hubby and see waht e can find out. I will post on Monday!
Kimberly1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:39 AM   #13
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7
Rewards Points: 10
Default

Water


Thanks for taking the time to give me some options.

Kimberly1082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil fired furnace and hot water heater question steveinpa Plumbing 3 08-10-2010 08:42 AM
water borehole question joeuser General DIY Discussions 2 04-18-2010 10:33 PM
Well Water snuggles2010 Plumbing 3 04-13-2010 01:36 PM
How Do I Properly Shock Chlorinate a Water Softner classicflytyer Plumbing 5 07-14-2009 12:15 AM
Low Hot Water Pressure btennant Plumbing 4 12-09-2008 09:31 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.