Waste And Venting Sketch - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-13-2013, 11:38 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

waste and venting sketch

Hello,

I'm putting a bathroom in my basement and wanted to see if I was on the right track for my waste and vent plan. The bathroom will have a WC and shower on one wall and the lav sink on the opposite wall. There is an existing drain line that runs from the sink and dishwasher above that goes to the sewer and is vented to the main stack of the house. My plan is to tie into those. At this point, I am hoping someone can let me know if I'm on track with the general design.

Here's what I sketched out...I'd appreciate any help you can offer.
Attached Thumbnails
waste and venting sketch-sketch.jpg  

Advertisement

pflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #2

waste and venting sketch

Forgot to add that the blue lines are the existing stuff I'm tying into and I also think I messed up the shower vent - I should have added the vent before it joins the common line with the toilet. And, I'm in Wisconsin if that helps with code issues.

Advertisement

Old 05-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,664

waste and venting sketch

I'm not sure what code Wisconsin follows do you know?
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,664

waste and venting sketch

The only problem I would have is the tie in on the existing. If you have a sink on the floor above draining into that stack it would not be a legal install in Ohio. Vents receive no drainage unless they are a specific exception.

And place you vent on the shower branch.

Where you have to stack do you mean out the roof or is something draining down that pipe?
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:07 PM   #5

waste and venting sketch

Thanks for your response. After you wrote, I did some more investigation and got up on the roof to see what vents were poking out where. I had things a little messed up. In addition, I had actually simplified my drawing a bit. There is a stationary tub that I'm removing that ties into the picture.

The main difference between what I had before is that the two lines I had going to the dishwasher and sink are wrong. One line goes to the sink AND dishwasher. The other line goes up all the way to the roof and is where the horizontal vent branches off. That's also the line that had the drain from the stationary tub.

As far as code goes, we're Universal Dwelling Code in my municipality.

Where I had "to stack" is a horizontal vent that runs to the main stack that supports the first and second floor toilets as well as some other plumbing fixtures. I now think the purpose of that horizontal vent is to vent the washing machine which is right next to the main stack.

One part I can't figure out is where the sink and dishwasher vent - unless the air-break on the dishwasher is enough for that. I didn't think so since it's pre-trap. I might be missing a connection somewhere, but I don't think so.

I know that's a lot of stuff, hopefully it makes a little more sense now. The new picture should help.

Do you think I can tie in to those spots now?

Again, thanks for your help. I feel like I'm starting to understand this all a little better.
Attached Thumbnails
waste and venting sketch-sketch-2.jpg  

Last edited by pflyer; 05-16-2013 at 12:19 PM.