Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2013, 08:42 AM   #1

Share |

Waste Stack - need to be replaced?

I have been renovating my bathroom for some time now. The walls are down and I just noticed that the waste stack is "weeping" in one or two places. Is this a huge problem waiting to happen. Looks like there may be several other "scabs" on it? Also, seems to be leaking at the galvanized connection from the 2nd floor sink. My plan was to replace that but the pipe itself is out of my league...

Here are some photos of the problems...
Attached Thumbnails
Waste Stack - need to be replaced?-topofstack.jpg   Waste Stack - need to be replaced?-weeping.jpg  

zephed666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #2

Plan on replacing it. If you can't handle it, be sure to get a few quotes.
And it should be plumbed to current code so some of those fittings will look different when completed- which means the plumber may need more space- or maybe not

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 09:29 AM   #3
Roofmaster

Yeah, its time to replace all of your waste lines. You can keep the vents if you want but the rest needs to go. Replace with DWV PVC, tie in to vents with Fernco, or Mission couplings, support vents properly with riser clamps before cutting.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Yeah, its time to replace all of your waste lines. You can keep the vents if you want but the rest needs to go. Replace with DWV PVC, tie in to vents with Fernco, or Mission couplings, support vents properly with riser clamps before cutting.

All of the waste lines? Meaning the entire house????

The first quote I got said he would cut it at the top of this stack (which is the top of the first floor) (as shown in the picture by the horizontal red line) and replace down into the basement and tie in to the waste line in the basement (about 30 feet). He would replace the galvanized pipe on the right(circled) to match the copper fitting on the left...
The remaining stack (from the 2nd floor bath as seen in the picture) up out of the roof would remain

Is it enought to replace just what I was told?
Attached Images

Last edited by zephed666; 05-30-2013 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:27 PM   #5

Replace it...
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:10 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
Replace it...

but do you think the hub at top need to replaced as well? I planned on repacing right under that all the way down and re-plumb everything that comes with that...
Old 05-31-2013, 03:51 PM   #7

I would replace it all out the roof. It's open now is the time to bite the bullet. Make sure you hire a real plumber that will pull a plumbing permit and get inspected. Anyone else is usually a great hack. Make sure you see the permit prior to him starting work. DO not pull a home owner permit. That tells me that your plumber is not licensed. DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF. Cast iron is very heavy and could kill you if it collapses. A pro will know how to avoid that with friction clamps. It's your house and your biggest investment do this correctly.

Also a real professional has workers comp. A hack doesn't. If he gets injured in your house you may kiss your house good bye. You as a home owner are responsible for that idiot getting hurt.

Do not pay him until you have a passed rough inspection.. 50% and a finish inspection the balance.

Last edited by Ghostmaker; 05-31-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
MTN REMODEL LLC (06-03-2013)
Old 06-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostmaker View Post
I would replace it all out the roof. It's open now is the time to bite the bullet. Make sure you hire a real plumber that will pull a plumbing permit and get inspected. Anyone else is usually a great hack. Make sure you see the permit prior to him starting work. DO not pull a home owner permit. That tells me that your plumber is not licensed. DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF. Cast iron is very heavy and could kill you if it collapses. A pro will know how to avoid that with friction clamps. It's your house and your biggest investment do this correctly.

Also a real professional has workers comp. A hack doesn't. If he gets injured in your house you may kiss your house good bye. You as a home owner are responsible for that idiot getting hurt.

Do not pay him until you have a passed rough inspection.. 50% and a finish inspection the balance.
Only open in the first floor. Second floor has no access unless I cut open the walls to replace throuhg the roof. I don;t think that is an option at this point...

I was told the hub is in great shape by the plumber and that I would only need to replace below it and down into the basement and he will support the stack above since he'll replace with PVC...
Old 06-03-2013, 09:29 AM   #9
MarginallyQualified

Quote:
Originally Posted by zephed666 View Post
I was told the hub is in great shape...
Have you ever played Jenga?

The options available are to do the job in a planned and orderly manner where you can get competitive quotes and perhaps even finance the work along with a few other improvements that are likely needed -OR- to do the work by way of a series of 3AM panic calls to the Plumber and then to pay weekend service rates. Your choice.

Last edited by TarheelTerp; 06-03-2013 at 09:33 AM.
TarheelTerp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:41 AM   #10

When I get involved with these projects, I replace as much as I can or as much as the homeowner allows.
Granted, the fitting in question is quite thick and may be in good shape but I would pull it. It's simply a matter of where you want to stop or start.

You haven't mentioned the copper or steel waste lines either. There's a good chance they are as thin as tin foil. Bear in mind that these pipes will deteriorate from the inside out. If it was me- I'd replace everything I could before its covered up.

Please nominate your favorite project!!

TheEplumber is offline   Reply With Quote