Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2010, 12:43 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Is this a waste pipe?

Hello,

All zero of you who are dedicated followers of my posts will recall my previous question about installing a new disposal under my sink.

Water leaking from under disposal/Installing new disposal

(You don't really have to read that to follow this question, but it's there for context.)

The point is that under my sink the waste pipe is mounted very high up making it difficult to install a disposal because it means that the drain hole from the disposal is not above the level of the waste pipe, meaning that water doesn't drain out of the disposal.

I recently ripped out the floor of the under-sink cabinet because they were all rotted and underneath was some linoleum flooring, with an odd capped pipe sticking out from the floor.

So I begin wondering if this pipe was a waste pipe. If it is, then my under sink plumbing problems might be solved because I could just have the drain from my sink/disposal run out of that pipe, right? Does anyone know if that is a waste pipe and/or if there's a way to test/find out?

Thanks again to all.

quadari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #2

Is this a waste pipe?

Could be a gas pipe

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:07 PM   #3

Is this a waste pipe?

I'm thinking its an abandoned drain line from an old s trap. If so, why was it abandoned? Best not to use it. Could be rotted, clogged or the other end may be open.
TheEplumber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Owner

Is this a waste pipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
I'm thinking its an abandoned drain line from an old s trap. If so, why was it abandoned? Best not to use it. Could be rotted, clogged or the other end may be open.
I agree. Could also run to a dry well which has been abandoned depending on how old the house is. You should be able to tell since it's on the interior of the home and not in a wall. Can you see it from underneath? I mean in the basement.
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:37 AM   #5

Is this a waste pipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateralConcepts View Post
I agree. Could also run to a dry well which has been abandoned depending on how old the house is. You should be able to tell since it's on the interior of the home and not in a wall. Can you see it from underneath? I mean in the basement.
The building was built c1920 (as far as I know). It's actually a condo building, but fortunately I'm on the "first" floor. (First is in quotes, because I'm not on the ground level, you have to come up one flight to my unit, but below me is the laundry room/storage area.) So I might go poke around the laundry room and see if I can figure out where that pipe goes.

Thanks.
quadari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:58 AM   #6

Is this a waste pipe?

What is the diameter of the pipe ?
1"....1.5" ?
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:19 AM   #7

Is this a waste pipe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadari View Post
The building was built c1920 (as far as I know). It's actually a condo building, but fortunately I'm on the "first" floor. (First is in quotes, because I'm not on the ground level, you have to come up one flight to my unit, but below me is the laundry room/storage area.) So I might go poke around the laundry room and see if I can figure out where that pipe goes.

Thanks.

Considering ur on the "first floor" with a laundry room below... that might be tied into ur drain and the others above you and "might" be used as a cleanout of some sort.

Only reason I say this is b/c the buildings I've worked at...... all units on 1st floor located above the basemnent laundry room had cleanouts under thier kit & bath sinks because the drains either 90'd (or 45'd) along basement ceiling (below 1st level....floor) towards the wall due to the fact that the laundry room was a big open space and they had to redirect the main stacks towards the outer walls.

hmmmm...... maybe ask ur condo maintenance person (if there is one) and see what he/she says.

let us know
57_Hemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:03 AM   #8
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Is this a waste pipe?

Might even be a cleanout for the kitchen drain.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:45 PM   #9
Retired Plumbing Cont.

Is this a waste pipe?

Don't touch it. It was abandoned for a reason. Even if you could use it the only way would be with an S-trap (not legal). Who needs a disposal anyway? Even though I've sold and installed a train load of 'em I don't have one in my house.

Last edited by rockerjockey; 08-05-2010 at 04:53 PM.
rockerjockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 05:25 PM   #10
Owner

Is this a waste pipe?

You're better off opening the wall and lowering the sanitary tee. It's simple. Cut out a section of the old galvanized with a sawzall, slap your new san-tee in, and secure it with no-hubs.
(208) 818-8241
Like us on Facebook!
LateralConcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 10:58 PM   #11

Is this a waste pipe?

Take off the cap and put a hose in it, Lets see what happens! You can always put the cap back on if you don't like the results. It will be fun an adventure.

plumberinlaw is offline   Reply With Quote