Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2008, 04:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

waste line in basement slab

Moving toilet location in basement slab.

I have removed all the concrete and am ready to move the waste pipe for my toilet. I currently have a Sioux Chief TKO toilet flange (model 883-AT) installed and I will be replacing with the same. www.siouxchief.com/PDF/TKO-Brochure-4- 05.pdf

This flange can go inside 4" pipe or over 3" pipe. Hopefully I can explain this properly. Currently, the set-up is the flange is installed inside a 90 degree elbow with 4" opening that reduces to 3" that connects to the waste line. The problem is that I cannot find this 4" to 3" reducing elbow at Home Depot or Lowes. Is it OK to simply put the flange over 3" pipe or is there a reason it is set-up this way in the basement slab? The set-up on the other bathrooms I have is the same flange goes over a 3" 90 street elbow connecting to the waste line. The basement slab install is the only one that connects into this 4" to 3" reducing 90 elbow.

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:53 PM   #2

Figured it out on my own....

For those that looked but didn't know and might be interested for their own future use.

The 4" to 3" elbow was so that a 4" pipe could extend above floor level before the concrete was poured. Then the 4" pipe was cut flush to the newly poured floor and the flange was dropped in. Couldn't be done with the 3" pipe sticking out of the floor as it would have been surrounded by concrete not allowing it to be solvent welded inside the flange.

Old 12-10-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

darnit, that's what i was going to tell you too......

DM
Old 12-10-2008, 08:48 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Whoever installed the plumbing must not be aware of styrofoam or foam rubber collars to place around 3" pipe for this. The collar also protects the PVC from damage by the concrete. When ready, you just cut out enough material to install the flange. Glad it all worked out for you, and thanks for the update. Always nice to know how things worked out.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:04 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by majakdragon View Post
Whoever installed the plumbing must not be aware of styrofoam or foam rubber collars to place around 3" pipe for this. The collar also protects the PVC from damage by the concrete. When ready, you just cut out enough material to install the flange. Glad it all worked out for you, and thanks for the update. Always nice to know how things worked out.
Thanks for the information regarding the collars to place around the pipe. I have not completed the task yet so I will look for these at my HD or Lowes.

Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:30 AM   #6
Man of many hats

Rewards Points: 272

And don't be scared to go to a plumbing supply store. They will always have a bigger selection than HD/Lowes and usually better pricing.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrangler View Post
And don't be scared to go to a plumbing supply store. They will always have a bigger selection than HD/Lowes and usually better pricing.
Thanks, appreciate the info.