Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2008, 09:01 AM   #1

Share |
Question

waste arm leak

Hi:

Recently replaced the plumbing in my bathroom due to a new vanity in my bathroom. This is white 1.5" PVC piping. The waste arm that connects from the p-trap into the sewage line in that wall is leaking. The waste arm is inserted into the connector at the wall and therefore I used a PVC primer and clear cement to the connector. However, the new waste arm doesn't fit as tight as the original and the primer is not taking very well (very slick surface). I have disassembled this several times but the cement just doesn't seem to be sealing the connection very well as a small leak dvelops each time. I'm running out of ideas. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Shawn

denverlynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 10:25 AM   #2

waste arm leak

Since I cannot see it, this is a guess. Most bathroom sinks have 1-1/4" drains. You would need an adapter to increase to 1-1/2" to connect to the wall piping. They make a slip-joint nut that has a washer inside it to do this. As stated, I think you are trying to glue 1-1/4 to 1-1/2".

Old 11-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #3

waste arm leak

Well, I would definitely go out and buy a new P-trap kit since you've already primed and glued it. Or, you can get a stick of Epoxy and seal it all around the fitting, let it set for a few hours, and it's a quick fix to your leak. Good luck, hope it works, if not, let us know.
skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 12:24 PM   #4

waste arm leak

Thanks for the responses.

This is a 1.5" to 1.5". This difference is very minute. This isn't a gap difference. I might try a different epoxy to seal the connection.
denverlynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #5

waste arm leak

A couple things that come to mind are bad glue and perhaps two different materials, such as PVC and ABS. These could cause the non-sealing you have.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:18 PM   #6

waste arm leak

not trying to muddy the water here, just wondering, usually the drain pipe for sinks is 1 1/4" ,going into 1 1/2", I understand you said it all 1 1/2" pvc, wondering how you got the old connection off, if it was glued into the one and half 90 coming out of the wall. If it indeed is all 1 1/2 then you need a coupling, they won't go into themselves if the same size. and yes, I know, I'm no plumber