Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2008, 12:39 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Washtub draining into floor drain

Hi everyone.

I currently have a double wash tub in my basement that drains directly into one of our floor drains. The creative previous owner had attached a plunger head around the pipe draining from the tub and I believe tried to caulk it to the floor, I believe to act as some sort of flange or prevent splashback. Perhaps he just had a plunger head lying around and wanted to do something with it. We've all been there.

I would like to downsize to one tub and fix the current plumbing situation. I haven't seen a lot of chatter about washtubs draining directly into the floor on the internets so I was hoping to get some comments or validation about my plans.

I'm thinking that I'll hold onto the existing P trap on the sink, but just get new pieces of pipe to drain down directly into the floor using a flange that fits the existing opening in lieu of the plunger head. My concern is that I will be closing off a drain that has backed up a couple times in the past year due to roots and flushable baby wipes (don't believe the name folks) or that draining in this manner is some kind of code violation due to explosive sewer gases etc.

I don't want to get too crazy with these changes on the grounds that ultimately we will have to redo some of the pipes, particularly the waste stack which is cast iron and painted many times over. I know that the best option would probably be to tap directly into the waste stack, but I would prefer not to start that at this time. Unless I gotta.

Any comments ?

DIY? Because we LOVE you is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

There is no problem with a sink, or even a shower, draining directly into a floor drain. If you seal off the opening, you will have a problem. The floor drain has a trap, so you will be double trapping the sink. This is not good (and illegal by code). By blocking air flow to the floor drain, you would cause siphonage since the sink would not have a vent. You can drop the drainline into the floor drain, just don't seal it off. If you have a short piece of pipe on the end of the elbow going into the drain, cut the end of the pipe on a 45 degree angle. This will prevent a lot of the splashing.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:48 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks. I had a feeling that something like that was the case and appreciate the explanation. I hope to get cracking at this soon- I'm looking forward to not seeing that ole plunger head off the floor.
DIY? Because we LOVE you is offline   Reply With Quote