Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2008, 02:21 PM   #1

Share |

washing machines hot water

Hello I am very new here and trying to find a solution. I want to use the hot water that goes to washing machine to also hook up a garden hose to so I can wash my very very elderly dog outside. I have a cold water spigot outside which is for the hose but I want hot water too so she doesn't get too cold. I just think there should be something I could do to do this myself. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Kayleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #2

This would be a big project, and I'm doubt the below will work as waste laundry water has debri in it.

You'd have to get a rain collecting barrel w/overflow tube and have it sitting right next to the washing machine. Put the washing machines drain tube into the rain barrel, and connect the rain barrels overflow tube to the normal drain making sure it stays several inches at least below the top of the barrel. That will collect it, and should protect you from those times you don't use as when the barrel gets full it will pour out the overflow into your normal drain that is if it doesn't clog.

You'll then have to install a water spigot for this on the outside of your house, and attach a pump to move the water out of the rain barrel to the spigot (and likely a switch to turn it on/off. If you run out of water with the pump running you can burn it out). Or, you can use a small hose & bucket attached to the rain barrel to siphon water out of the bottom to fill up a bucket and use that bucket of hot water on the dog.

I think it's a big project and not likely to work for very long (cause of the debri) but then again rain barrels usually handle debri in one fashion or another so it may actually work... but I think would be an expensive adventure.

Last edited by Piedmont; 08-15-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Piedmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
Journeyman Plumber

Are you talking about where the hose from the washer machine connect at the wall? If so put on a wye splitter.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #4

Kayleigh:

The hot and cold water valves that your washing machine supply hoses connect to are called "sillcocks"

ANY hardware store will sell you a "Y" shaped hose that you can connect to the hot and cold sillcocks and run a garden hose out a window or something so that you can have warm water to wash your dog outside.

Just put a valve or sprayer on the end of the hose outside to turn the water on and off at that end. You'll have to adjust the temperature of the water you get out the hose at the sillcocks.

If you want to do this on a regular basis, you can make up a tee for each sillcock with one end going to your washer and the other end with a valve on it going to your the mixing hose.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 06:09 PM   #5

No, no, I think Piedmont is onto something...collect rain water in a barrel, filter that a few times with a pump mechanism, pump in the waste water from clothes washing, recirculate that through a pump to mix it, then turn on a heater to warm it or something (after all that's what she wants warm water), then let it flow out the bottom of the barrel, maybe under pressure a bit, maybe outside to clean the old dog.

The fact that it's dirty water doesn't make much difference as we all know dogs are dirty and will probably get dirty again so why bother?!

And Kayleigh can all this herself as well as harbouring a rain barrel in her laundry room...

Piedmont, where are you from? what the heck are you talking about?

They also sell these rubber hoses that connect to both hot and cold CLEAN water faucets that combines the hot+cold to come out as one stream of warm water. A plumber could set her up with a setup that allows her to switch from laundry to dog with the flick of a knob.
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarlisle View Post
No, no, I think Piedmont is onto something...collect rain water in a barrel, filter that a few times with a pump mechanism, pump in the waste water from clothes washing, recirculate that through a pump to mix it, then turn on a heater to warm it or something (after all that's what she wants warm water), then let it flow out the bottom of the barrel, maybe under pressure a bit, maybe outside to clean the old dog.

The fact that it's dirty water doesn't make much difference as we all know dogs are dirty and will probably get dirty again so why bother?!

And Kayleigh can all this herself as well as harbouring a rain barrel in her laundry room...

Piedmont, where are you from? what the heck are you talking about?

They also sell these rubber hoses that connect to both hot and cold CLEAN water faucets that combines the hot+cold to come out as one stream of warm water. A plumber could set her up with a setup that allows her to switch from laundry to dog with the flick of a knob.
I lol'ed. I think he was confused with what she was asking, otherwise, put down the crack pipe, dude.

I agree with everyone else here. Put a wye splitter on the hot side of your laundry, run a hose outside.

then.... put another wye splitter backwards, connecting the hot from clothes washer and cold from outside hose to the wye ends, and use the valves on the wye to temper the water.

or .... hire a plumber to install a hot hose bibb next to the cold one.
Old 08-15-2008, 10:14 PM   #7

Carlisle & Alan:

No, Piedmont just misunderstood the question. The arrangement he's describing is to collect the warm waste water from the o.p.'s washing machine in a rain barrel and pumping it to a spigot on the outside of the house so she can wash her dog with that grey water.

The guy just misunderstood the question. But, ridiculing him over it goes against what these DIY forums are supposed to be about. It discourages people who think they can help from posting for fear of being ridiculed if they didn't understand something correctly.

In fact, when I first read the question, I thought the original poster wanted to wash the dog in the washing machine. I though I should warn her that washers always rinse with cold water, until I read the other responses.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 08-15-2008 at 10:20 PM.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:51 AM   #8

"No, Piedmont just misunderstood the question...

The guy just misunderstood the question..."
I know, Nestor, I can read. Twice.

Don't play the Godfather with me, you are in no position to tell anyone what to do.

You might think of yourself as an educator by the volume of information you give out, quantity over quality - but that alone doesn't make you a "teacher"; furthermore, I do not subscribe to the theory that we should always dumb-down our responses at the expense of reflection and educated thought.

I know he misunderstood the question; did you? did I? did Alan? did anyone else? Don't think so...but because he did, that's no reason to molly-coddle Piedmont into a sense that we're some benevolent bulletin board for the terminally lazy. Piedmont lacked judgement in his response and wasted all our time - instead of taking a minute and re-reading the post. That is not a result of him not knowing, just bad judgement.

I will say this: I have no problems in teaching and I certainly have no problem with people who have a hard time understanding. But I do have a problem with people who may have a hard time understanding - but who do nothing about it and expect everyone else to pick up their slack.

If you don't know how to spell a word you have two choices: the easy way is to ask someone who knows, to tell you the answer, and the hard way is to look it up. Using the easy way teaches you nothing, the hard way teaches you how to spell. Down the road a bit, which way do you want people to go? When my son asks me how to spell a word, I ask him where the dictionary is.

No Nestor, this DIY board is about helping people. You ought to know that, you try to do that very thing. But what you think it is isn't what everyone else thinks it is and our definitions differ, that's all. But I'll tell you this: Piedmont is now a better person because he got what he gave. He may resent he way it was done but next time he'll read the questions twice, make sure his response is up the measure of the question - and post. Now what has helped him more?

In my spare time, I coach basketball, mainly, and some baseball, have done so for over a decade, and to boys between the ages of 8 and 18. I have seen questions and I have answered them in a manner I feel benefits young enquiring minds. I don't spoon-feed the answers, I encourage them to come up with a reasoned answer by themselves. That's the way they learn, take it from me. If their answer is flippant or off-the-cuff, they also learn that it is and why it is...

At the same time, I don't pontificate or throw volumes of ill-fitting information at them. That makes my judgement poor...

Oh yeah, I also have two dogs. OK, that makes me more sensitive than some to washing them in warm water, which is fine. I also know dogs are clean enough that they wouldn't take to being washed in waste-water. So that gives me an edge, but come on, did I have to go to University to know that?
“The average American woman is about 25 pounds heavier than she was in 1960...Recognizing obesity as a disease will help change the way the medical community tackles this complex issue that affects approximately 1 in 3 Americans,”
ccarlisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:42 AM   #9

Wow Hi Everybody. Yep I don't know about plumbing terms but now I have learned a few and thank you. sorry I didn't explain it right. I have ms and sometimes I know what I'm talking about but it does make it difficult to explain things properly so I thank each and every one of you for reading and re reading my post do to my confusion.

Just for the record I do collect rain water outside but since I'm in CT it would be too cold in winter but Great idea.

So I think what I am looking for is called wye splitter. PS both me and my elderly dog are disabled so she might need bathing more often then most when she was a young little chick she didn't need or want them at all. Or very very rarely. But again just needed to be able to do this project myself and thought it would have to be possible since I couldn't be the only one in the world that would want or need to do this.

Again thank you all very very much.

Oh would a garden store sell one like if you wanted to run two garden hoses outside at the same time. Could I use one of those Y spliters?

Last edited by Kayleigh; 08-16-2008 at 09:53 AM.
Kayleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 01:08 PM   #10

Kayleigh:
A garden store might sell garden hose accessories, but what you're looking for is more of a plumbing item, and you're much more likely to find it in a hardware store.

Just phone any hardware store that sells small above ground pools, and ask them what people use to fill them with. They will have a way of getting both hot and cold water through a garden hose.