Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 2
Share |
Default

washing machine supply valve leaking


Our supply line to our washing machine consists of two quarter turn brass valves with a small plastic handle (red and blue) that say ON or OFF on them (picture below). We just realized yesterday that water was leaking from the underside of the cold valve handle, even when it was in the OFF position. We tried tightening the top of the handle with an allen key and it didn't do anything. If you pop the handle off there is no washer, and there does not appear to be a nut under the handle either to tighten. Is there anything that we can do , or should we just replace the entire valve? thank you for any advice

Last edited by tina2435; 12-15-2008 at 07:22 PM.
tina2435 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 08:50 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,264
Default

washing machine supply valve leaking


Tina:

Yes, I think you need to replace that valve. A well made valve should have a "packing" or "stuffing box" (as the British call it) that can be tightened to stop water leaks around the stem, like this:



That brass hexagonal nut under the blue handle can be tightened to prevent water leaking around the stem of the valve. Your valves don't have a packing nut that can be used to tighten the packing.

The valve you have is imported from China by a company called "B&K". B&K don't actually make anything at all, they just import stuff from China and sell it under their own name. Ace Hardware sells the kind of valves you have:

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...e-p-75679.html

I've always liked Nibco valves because they have good designs (in my opinion). May I suggest the Nibco 64L washing machine valve to replace your B&K valve:

http://www.nibco.com/cms.do?id=2&pId=198&d-1342853-p=2

http://www.nibco.com/assets/SpecialPV.pdf

The Nibco valve is NOT a quarter turn valve. It is multiple turn just like a standard faucet. But, it does have a packing nut under the handle so you would be able to fix the problem you're having now simply by turning that packing nut clockwise.

Note that packing nuts are not supposed to be TIGHT. You tighten them only as much as necessary to stop any water leakage. Anything more than that simply results in the packing wearing out faster than it should.

Nibco's phone number (in Canada I think) is 1-800-268-3509. Ask for Carlos, he's one of their technicians that answers any customer's questions about Nibco valves. (There are also American phone numbers at the bottom of that PDF file.)

Ask if there is a gasket between the bonnet and valve body of the 64L. The only thing I don't like about Nibco is that they don't put gaskets there. Instead they tighten the bonnet up so much that it doesn't leak, but that also means you can't unscrew the bonnet once the valve is installed. You need to put the valve in a vice and take the bonnet off before you install it. Then, go to any place that sells O-rings for Pneumatics and Hydraulics in your area and buy a "teflon back up ring" that will fit between the bonnet and valve body. Then you can install that teflon back up ring and screw the bonnet down snugly so that you can remove it in future (to replace a washer) without a major fight.
__________________
Bashing my head against the walls in some of the internet's finest chat rooms.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:17 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,770
Default

washing machine supply valve leaking


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
Tina:

Yes, I think you need to replace that valve. A well made valve should have a "packing" or "stuffing box" (as the British call it) that can be tightened to stop water leaks around the stem, like this:



That brass hexagonal nut under the blue handle can be tightened to prevent water leaking around the stem of the valve. Your valves don't have a packing nut that can be used to tighten the packing.

The valve you have is imported from China by a company called "B&K". B&K don't actually make anything at all, they just import stuff from China and sell it under their own name. Ace Hardware sells the kind of valves you have:

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...e-p-75679.html

I've always liked Nibco valves because they have good designs (in my opinion). May I suggest the Nibco 64L washing machine valve to replace your B&K valve:

http://www.nibco.com/cms.do?id=2&pId=198&d-1342853-p=2

http://www.nibco.com/assets/SpecialPV.pdf

The Nibco valve is NOT a quarter turn valve. It is multiple turn just like a standard faucet. But, it does have a packing nut under the handle so you would be able to fix the problem you're having now simply by turning that packing nut clockwise.

Note that packing nuts are not supposed to be TIGHT. You tighten them only as much as necessary to stop any water leakage. Anything more than that simply results in the packing wearing out faster than it should.

Nibco's phone number (in Canada I think) is 1-800-268-3509. Ask for Carlos, he's one of their technicians that answers any customer's questions about Nibco valves. (There are also American phone numbers at the bottom of that PDF file.)

Ask if there is a gasket between the bonnet and valve body of the 64L. The only thing I don't like about Nibco is that they don't put gaskets there. Instead they tighten the bonnet up so much that it doesn't leak, but that also means you can't unscrew the bonnet once the valve is installed. You need to put the valve in a vice and take the bonnet off before you install it. Then, go to any place that sells O-rings for Pneumatics and Hydraulics in your area and buy a "teflon back up ring" that will fit between the bonnet and valve body. Then you can install that teflon back up ring and screw the bonnet down snugly so that you can remove it in future (to replace a washer) without a major fight.
I found your instructions. Not intended for me, but useful anyway to know that I had done what you wrote.

Thanks.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:06 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 24
Default

washing machine supply valve leaking


the new 1/4 turn dont have an packing nut,,,,THAT'S OLD SCHOOL...replace it and remember just because it is new dont make it right.every thing made by humans..not to inpress with the earthing .
drunknmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:15 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,770
Default

washing machine supply valve leaking


Quote:
Originally Posted by drunknmaster_4u@yahoo.com View Post
the new 1/4 turn dont have an packing nut,,,,THAT'S OLD SCHOOL...replace it and remember just because it is new dont make it right.every thing made by humans..not to inpress with the earthing .
Speaking of which, is there an issue with valves that have the packing nuts, but the stems are made of plastic?
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:34 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,264
Default

washing machine supply valve leaking


Quote:
Speaking of which, is there an issue with valves that have the packing nuts, but the stems are made of plastic?
The best answer to your question would probably be "not yet". I wouldn't be hesitant to replace it with a proper valve if the opportunity arises, tho.

Also:
Quote:
I found your instructions. Not intended for me, but useful anyway to know that I had done what you wrote.
Were you floored by the price of those small teflon back up rings? When I got quoted a price of $2.50 for each one, I thought I was being gouged so I checked out several other places, and they're expensive everywhere. But, they work well, and you seldom need to replace them.

I would much prefer Nibco did that in the first place. The way they tighten up those bonnet nuts to get a water-tight metal-to-metal seal is just insane. If you solder the valve in that way, you're almost certain to wreck the copper piping the valve is soldered onto trying to break that bonnet nut free. A teflon gasket instead of tightening the by-geezus out of it would simply be a better (sane-er) design.
__________________
Bashing my head against the walls in some of the internet's finest chat rooms.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 01-22-2009 at 09:53 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:47 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,264
Default

washing machine supply valve leaking


Quote:
Originally Posted by drunknmaster_4u@yahoo.com View Post
the new 1/4 turn dont have an packing nut,,,,THAT'S OLD SCHOOL...replace it and remember just because it is new dont make it right.every thing made by humans..not to inpress with the earthing .
Drunken Master 4 me:
I think you're missing the point completely. If that 1/4 turn valve had a packing nut, it wouldn't be necessary to replace it. See, that's the point.

Chinese companies are producing ball valves without packing nuts. And, people then need to replacing them because they can't stop the leak without a packing nut. Better to buy a ball valve with a packing nut in the first place. That way, you're not introducing a potential weakness into what would otherwise be a very reliable valve. For some reason, that makes sense to me. Maybe I'm just being silly.
__________________
Bashing my head against the walls in some of the internet's finest chat rooms.

Last edited by Nestor_Kelebay; 01-22-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Nestor_Kelebay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 24
Default

washing machine supply valve leaking


think think 1/4 turn valve DONT come with packing nut why why why send 3 hour's to fix an 4 dollars part replace thevalve ...burp packing nut is only another place 4 it to leak think about it..i have so much to teach this room.

Last edited by drunknmaster; 01-22-2009 at 10:24 PM.
drunknmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,770
Default

washing machine supply valve leaking


Quote:
Originally Posted by Nestor_Kelebay View Post
Tina:

Yes, I think you need to replace that valve. A well made valve should have a "packing" or "stuffing box" (as the British call it) that can be tightened to stop water leaks around the stem, like this:



That brass hexagonal nut under the blue handle can be tightened to prevent water leaking around the stem of the valve. Your valves don't have a packing nut that can be used to tighten the packing.

The valve you have is imported from China by a company called "B&K". B&K don't actually make anything at all, they just import stuff from China and sell it under their own name. Ace Hardware sells the kind of valves you have:

http://www.acehardwaresuperstore.com...e-p-75679.html

I've always liked Nibco valves because they have good designs (in my opinion). May I suggest the Nibco 64L washing machine valve to replace your B&K valve:

http://www.nibco.com/cms.do?id=2&pId=198&d-1342853-p=2

http://www.nibco.com/assets/SpecialPV.pdf

The Nibco valve is NOT a quarter turn valve. It is multiple turn just like a standard faucet. But, it does have a packing nut under the handle so you would be able to fix the problem you're having now simply by turning that packing nut clockwise.

Note that packing nuts are not supposed to be TIGHT. You tighten them only as much as necessary to stop any water leakage. Anything more than that simply results in the packing wearing out faster than it should.

Nibco's phone number (in Canada I think) is 1-800-268-3509. Ask for Carlos, he's one of their technicians that answers any customer's questions about Nibco valves. (There are also American phone numbers at the bottom of that PDF file.)

Ask if there is a gasket between the bonnet and valve body of the 64L. The only thing I don't like about Nibco is that they don't put gaskets there. Instead they tighten the bonnet up so much that it doesn't leak, but that also means you can't unscrew the bonnet once the valve is installed. You need to put the valve in a vice and take the bonnet off before you install it. Then, go to any place that sells O-rings for Pneumatics and Hydraulics in your area and buy a "teflon back up ring" that will fit between the bonnet and valve body. Then you can install that teflon back up ring and screw the bonnet down snugly so that you can remove it in future (to replace a washer) without a major fight.
Should the valve be shut off or halfway shut before tightening the packing nut? Or, does it not matter?

Last edited by handy man88; 01-26-2009 at 06:42 PM.
handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:17 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 805
Default

washing machine supply valve leaking


drunkmaster,

IF you think you are able to outdo Nestors knowledge and expertise,,,your sadly mistaken,,,OR you havent read this forum LONG enough. I will stay with HIS advice,today, tommorrow, and a foreveer of tommorrows,thank you!!
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ball valve leaking bwall Plumbing 10 12-31-2012 07:25 PM
leaking pressure relief valve on heating water boiler benjamintr HVAC 13 01-29-2011 05:32 AM
Washing Machine compression valve leaking...HELP! tmcguirk Plumbing 12 04-17-2008 08:16 AM
Hooking up a washing machine?? teachtech Plumbing 1 03-11-2008 11:17 AM
Washing machine - hot water supply only? Sosh Plumbing 4 07-11-2007 03:36 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.